Sequel Ch VI

It felt of some import to note that without a winter coat I was actively fighting back frostbite in it least two of my limbs. The night was anything but lovely. Nonetheless, Maellie's pursuers didn't pause over my vague non sequitur about the weather, too hyped up on their own over abundant testosterone induced rage — and the ever-present reminder of Elijah's wiggling tentacle-replaced hair creeping out of his skull.

Because I had no parents to ever caution me about poking sleeping bears, I cocked my head to
inquire innocently, "Are those meant to be a fashion statement?"

The flush of crimson rage that crept up his neck and flooded his cheeks almost made the jibe worth it. Almost.

"Where is she?" he snarled.

When in doubt, play dumb. "Who?"

"The girl who just ran by! Maellie!"

"Ah," I pretended to ponder the question. "I'm afraid I don't know anyone by that name."

When still in doubt, play very dumb.

Obviously not one to be so easily fooled, Elijah marched up and fisted a hand through my shirt, bringing his face far closer than unromantically comfortable. "Don't waste my time. You're the one she was dancing with earlier!"

Ah, so he recognized me. How unfortunate.

"I danced with several girls," I lied, keeping my posture relaxed and loose with easy confidence, at odds to his overt aggression. "You can't expect me to ask for all of their names. I don't have all day. Now, if you don't mind, you're stretching out my collar and I can't really afford replacements at the moment."

I waited for him to release me of his own volition, but he had other plans. If anything his grip only tightened. "You don't need to know her name to know which direction she went. Point us the right way or I'll assume you're lying and trying to hide her. I don't believe in coincidences."

"I'm not hiding her in my dress robes, if that's what you're thinking," I deflected, hoping she was far enough away now that I could cut them all loose soon. I doubted I could peacefully distract them for much longer before their aggression escalated. "And on the topic of my clothes, please do let go-"

"We're wasting our time with this one," one of Elijah's companions interjected, sounding exasperated. "We can split up to look for her if we have to."

"You heard him." Perfect timing for someone to intervene. I nodded towards the one who spoke. "Get going or you might lose her."

Perhaps, just maybe, I sounded a bit smug at that moment, betraying myself, because in the next I felt something hard colliding with my left cheek just above my jaw. A fist. Elijah's other hand still weaved through my shirt held me in place for the blow, only shoving away from me after the deed was done in order to help shake out his bruising knuckles.

"That..." I blinked once slowly, calm in a way that unnerved even myself, "was rude." I hadn't moved an inch since they'd arrived, my hands never even leaving my pockets. "And after I'd put in so much effort to be polite to you."

"That was uncalled for, Eli," the only reasonable one of the five chastened him, only to be thoroughly ignored. "If a professor had seen..."

"Let's go," was all Elijah replied as he tried to shoulder his way past me, pointedly refusing to meet my eyes. "We'll split up and look for her that way."

The first to speak rolled his eyes. "I already said that."

Confident Maellie was safe, so long as she didn't stray too far from the carriage for the duration of our stay at Hogwarts, at least, I let them go. One against six weren't exactly betting odds, and while I fancied Elijah a lowly worm, no retribution I could give him would trump the pure theatre of Maellie's jinx anyway.