Chapter XXIII: Testing Values

• — • — •

If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values: they're hobbies.
-JON STEWART

• — • — •

Aeliana awoke to the feeling of her arm on far, magma pushing its way through her veins. As the shock ebbed, horror set in. She'd ignored Voldemort's summons last night, and based on the position of the sun through the tree canopy above, noon loomed closer by the second.

"Shit, shit, shit," she hissed frantically, slowly drawing away from Sirius's still-sleeping form, careful not to wake him.

Lia slipped back into her robes and snatched her wand from where it lay camouflaged amongst a heap of fallen branches.

Sparing Sirius one last fleeting look, she jogged away to Apparate without accidentally rousing him. Asleep, he looked innocent, the stresses of the day forgotten in the contours of his face. Not knowing when she would see him again, if she would see him again, Lia allowed herself to place a chaste kiss upon his brow.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

With those last parting words, she was gone.

• — • — •

Lia always prided herself on being a good liar, but as she walked the last few feet into Malfoy Manor, dread eating it's way through her stomach, she hadn't the faintest idea what she planned to say to excuse her absence. Voldemort would have felt the Imperius Curse break, wouldn't he? He'd know she regained her will, and she wasn't even sure why he decided to place it upon her on the first place. As far as he should have known, she was as loyal as anyone.

Rearranging her features into ones of vague, haughty contempt, Lia stepped into the viper's den.

"Alecto," she called after the first person she came across, doing her best to sound vaguely bored. "Where is the Dark Lord? I've been summoned."

Alecto paused, a mischievous aura overcoming her countenance. She sidled over, swaying her robes exaggeratedly with each step.

"Oh, Lia!" she crooned, her smile not quite reaching her eyes as she gave Aeliana a calculated once-over. She grabbed a strand of Lia's hair, twirling it between her fingers as she continued, "I feel like it's been forever since I last saw you! Where have you been? The Dark Lord has been looking absolutely everywhere for you."

"I'm sure he has," Lia muttered under her breath, trying not to grimace. "We will have catch up another time, Alecto. You know as well as I how perilous it is to keep our master waiting."

Alecto cackled, the sound grating Lia's eardrums. "You have been keeping him waiting this time. He is not at all pleased with you," she laughed. "Unfortunately, the Dark Lord is actually out now."

Lia frowned.

Alecto turned to walk away but Lia held out a hand to stop her.

"Do you happen to know where he might have gone?" she inquired, not sure if she was relieved or anxious that her punishment had been delayed. Not that she knew for sure she was to be punished. It just seemed likely, all things considered.