Chapter XXIV: The Dreamer

— —

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
—OSCAR WILDE

— —

Aeliana laid low in the coming weeks, not daring to so much as breathe treacherously around Voldemort, let alone actually send Remus updates about any hits on the order. Gradually, her leash loosened as Voldemort's suspicions dwindled and he began to accept her excuses as truth.

Mainly, she stuck around Malfoy Manor, since the entire wizarding world knew her face and loyalties. Pleasure trips through Hogsmeade were a thing of the past, unless she wanted the whole of the Ministry on her tail.

Lia wasn't even particularly useful to Voldemort, in all honesty, unless he sent her out in the dead of night on some minor errand. She got the impression he was keeping her around for a specific, unknown purpose. Even when he asked for someone to volunteer a house elf, Lia couldn't aid him, because he'd had all of hers murdered months ago, not that she would have offered one up to him anyways.

"You know, I love to see you, Lia, but your timing leaves much to be desired." Remus grimaced, running a hand through his short hair. "But are there no calendars in whatever cave Voldemort hides you in?"

"Ha. Ha." She fought a smile as she looked him over. "You look truly miserable."

"Flattery will get you nowhere." He gave her his own scrutinising glance. "And it's not like you look much better."

"That's no way to talk to a lady," she said, raising an offended hand over her heart. "Your mother sure has a lot to answer for."

"Not nearly as much as yours does," he muttered under his breath, just loud enough to be sure she'd hear.

"Would you like to repeat that, Remus?" Lia threatened mutinously. "I'm not sure I heard you correctly."

"I'm sure you didn't." He rolled his eyes, falling back onto the small bed in the corner and gesturing for her to do the same. "But you never answered my question."

"As a matter of fact, there are calendars where Voldemort keeps me chained up, thank you very much," she responded sarcastically, plopping down next to him.

"Then what brings you here on such an unfortunate phase of the lunar cycle?" he inquired, glancing at her sidelong through half-closed lids.

"You always assume there's something," she tutted. "Is it unthinkable that I came simply out of my selfless, undying love for you?"

He shot her a wry look. "Don't let Sirius hear you say that. He might not think you're joking, and I have plans to live a long life that I don't want meddled with."

"Noted." She paused, choosing her words carefully. "But I did choose the full moon to find you on purpose. I couldn't send any owls to set up a meeting; they would no doubt be intercepted. I wasn't sure where to find you outside of the full moon. You used to come here to hide whenever the full moon came and we weren't at Hogwarts. I just hoped you still did."

"I would tell you that's reckless, but you already know that don't you?" he sighed, sitting up and crossing his arms in his best impression of a stern parent.