Chapter III: Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep

• — • — •

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not their
I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumns rain
When you wake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there
I did not die
-MARY FRYE

• — • — •

"We're all gathered here today to pay our respects to a great wizarding family and reconcile the loss we all feel..."

Aeliana ceased listening at the beginning of what was bound to be a long, meaningless eulogy. There were no words in existence that could express the loss she suffered.

"And now, a member of the family would like to say a few words."

A member of the family would like to do what now? she thought absently to herself.

The man next to her, a young red-headed Ministry official her brother had once been friends with, subtly nudged her arm, breaking her from her reverie. She glanced at him briefly in acknowledgement, receiving a warm, yet sad smile in return.

Arthur. That was his name.

Lia rose to her feet and made her way to the podium. Behind her, thirteen coffins containing everyone she loved, and before her, hundreds of people she couldn't care less about. So many faces she'd never seen before; perhaps, some of her family's killers were among them.

"My entire family is dead." She waved a hand in their direction, going from the smallest coffin on the far left, to that of her father on the right. "Every. Last. One. Down to the very last child! My cousin Antony was only five years old and got murdered in his sleep. My cousin Ophelia and her twin Laertes were merely eight years old, and I had to see their bodies clinging to each other, defenceless and cornered into a wall." Her voice broke, but she pressed on. "Their parents were were murdered trying to buy them time to escape, but it still wasn't enough. they all died anyway. The Death Eaters and Voldemort were so afraid of my ancestor's legacy that they murdered three innocent children who had nothing to do with this filthy war!"

Aeliana could feel her temper growing with each passing second, so much so that she had to work to prevent herself from screaming out in frustration.

Breathing deeply to calm her erratic heart, she continued, "I know he wasn't a child, but Caius Godric Gryffindor is... was my only brother, the heir to our household, and he didn't deserve the fate he got dealt. The loss of him is the greatest tragedy of them all. He sent a patronus message to the Ministry to warn of the attack... and also the family sword of my house to Hogwarts; what we know of the attack mainly comes from his sacrifice. He was killed last, alone and surrounded by his enemies." She swallowed down the lump growing in her throat. "Lastly, my father, Valdus Godric Gryffindor. According to Caius, he was murdered by Voldemort himself.

"Men who break into houses and murder children in their beds are not great. They are cowards!" She slammed her fist into the podium, surprised it didn't splinter beneath the force. Several people looked up, startled, from wiping away tears. "People who break into people homes in the dead of night are not powerful. They are weak! They knew they could not take my family down on even ground, so, like the cowards they are, they ambushed them..."

Lia looked around at all those present, taking care to avoid eye contact. Remembering that some people here no doubt worked for that evil, murdering Dark Wizard, She clenched her teeth and plowed on with reckless abandon.