four

Hey, are you working right now?

After two months of radio silence after their break, this is the first thing he texts? Did Mark somehow find out where he works? That wouldn't really be a surprise considering how he's filled his Instagram feed with hundreds of pictures of the coffee shop, promoting it here and there.

Donghyuck can still feel his rapid heartbeat trying to beat out of his chest at the mere thought of Mark reaching out to him, so Donghyuck dismisses the notification altogether, for now, saving it to read later.

He tries to focus on what Jisung is saying to the customer, but he can't help but keep glancing at his phone. The notification keeps flashing on his screen, reminding him of Mark's message. He sighs, trying to push those thoughts aside. He needs to focus on serving the last customer before he goes home.

Oh, Who is he kidding.

His hands grab his phone, unlocking the screen quickly as fast as he can. After seeing that the message didn't change, he lets out an audible breath of relief. Maybe he should text back...

Yeah. Hi.

He types out a quick reply with shaky hands before hitting send and takes one look outside while releasing a breath, the street is pretty empty since most people were probably heading home.

If he was being honest, Donghyuck wanted to text and wait until tomorrow to reply but he can tell that he will have no chance unless he does it now. As expected, Mark immediately responds. What he doesn't expect is to see what the next message says.

Please pretend to be me.

What?

Donghyuck texts back with furrowed eyebrows, what the hell does Mark mean by that? He thought they were going to finally have the closure that Donghyuck desperately needed, or that Mark chatted to get back together-- Obviously not, he should get his head out of the clouds.

Can I call you? Mark asks him, the words making Donghyuck feel weird. They're such small questions that shouldn't hold such big implications. But the thought of having to answer these questions makes the hairs on his arm stand up. This is so unlike Mark. Even if he has always been a little shy around him, Mark was never this forward.

Why do you want to talk?

Donghyuck texts back. He doesn't know what else to say. It took him a moment to realize that Mark hasn't responded yet. He waits anxiously for something, anything.

I need your help.

No shit Sherlock but why me?

Please just let me explain.

Fine.

"Hendery, I'm just going to take a phone call. It'll be quick, I promise!" "

"Alright, it doesn't seem like the customer will order anything new anytime soon." He glances at the customer and back at Donghyuck before lowering his voice into a whisper, "Just make sure our manager doesn't catch you, Haechan."

Donghyuck laughs at that, "No worries, Taeil-hyung loves me." He sends Hendery a quick wink before heading towards the bathroom near the kitchen area of the café, closing the door behind him before grabbing his phone out of his pocket.

It doesn't take long for his phone to start ringing and he can feel both nervousness and excitement running through his blood, but he also feels anxious. He hasn't heard Mark's voice since they broke up. He can't stop wondering how he is doing or if he's okay or not. It hurts. Knowing that he left him like that. Knowing he still has feelings for him.

"Hello?" Donghyuck answers his phone.

There is silence for a few seconds while Mark takes a breath, "Hyuck,"

Donghyuck's heart starts racing and his stomach begins churning, he tries to calm himself down. He should ask how his friend is doing, right? Is he alright? Does he miss him...? He wants to hear his voice, he can't stand this.

He closes his eyes and leans against the wall behind him, taking deep breaths to ease his nerves. When he opens his eyes again, he notices that his legs won't support him anymore because his knees are starting to shake.

"Hi," Donghyuck whispers and he doesn't even attempt to hide the sadness in his voice. He doesn't try to hide the pain he feels or the guilt he feels for leaving Mark. "I know this is a really strange request coming from me but can you please pretend to be me."

"Oh yeah-- wait what?" Donghyuck forgot that that was why Mark initially called him.

"Okay let me explain," he hears Mark sighing on the other line, "Remember how I told you that my dad's business is going really well in China? Yeah, that was great and all, but then my dad signed me up for Chinese tutor and we agreed to meet at that cafe you're working in right now-"

"How did you know I work here?" Donghyuck cuts him off.

"You post it all over your social media?" So Mark was stalking his account? A smile crept onto his face thinking about Mark scrolling through his feed and perhaps being curious about how he's doing after the breakup. Maybe they have a second chance. "Also, I didn't really know until Sungchan told me about it just a while ago I was freaking out over missing tutor."

Oh.

"Oh."

"Yeah, so um where was I..." Mark starts again after an awkward silence passes by, "I was supposed to meet him today at around five p.m. after basketball practice but since the tournament is coming up soon it totally slipped my mind."

"Oh." Donghyuck glares at the floor, Mark had always prioritized basketball first.

"He's probably still waiting for me there and it's already..." He can hear ruffling noises on the other end of the line, probably checking his watch. "Quarter to nine? I feel really bad but if my dad finds out I skipped tutor he'll freak out. You know how he is."

"Wait, so what am I supposed to do?"

"Just pretend to be me for five months, that's how long I was supposed to be tutored."

Now Donghyuck was starting to get annoyed, what does Mark expect him to do exactly? And why aren't they addressing the elephant in the room?

Why does Mark sound so nonchalant talking to Donghyuck as if they've never been more than just friends? As if they did not spend the last two months completely avoiding each other?

Mark sighs again at the silence, "Hyuck. Please?"

Donghyuck bites the insides of his cheeks, "What's in it for me?"

Donghyuck can hear him chuckle softly on the other line, which only awakens butterflies in his stomach. Stupid Mark and the cute laughs that still make him feel weak. "Anything."

That sounds suspiciously good.

"I'll do anything, just please." He can hear the desperation in Mark's voice and a sudden idea comes to his mind, maybe this is for the best after all. Maybe it's time for Donghyuck to be selfish once and for all.

"Okay." He starts, ignoring the way Mark stops talking on the other line after hearing his words, "Fine, I'll pretend to be you."

"Oh my God, thanks--"

"But," He intervenes, "by the end of the five months I'll be waiting for you to hold the other end of the deal."

"Of course! Definitely."

"Alright..." Donghyuck says, "It was nice talking to you again, Mark."

"You too, Hyuckie." He can feel heat rushing into his cheeks at the nickname, "Oh god..." he mumbles quietly before clearing his throat, "I better go before my manager comes back."

"Right. Okay bye, Donghyuck."

"Bye." Donghyuck hangs up on him and takes a deep breath. He has made up his mind.

At the end of the five months, Donghyuck is going to ask Mark to go out with him again.