twelve

Renjun saw himself in Haechan that night.

He knew the pain and regret all too well, and he knew how hard it was to open up to your closest friends when they probably had their own problems as well. So when Haechan said he was dealing with complicated feelings, he couldn't just sit there and pretend he didn't care, not when he knew how hard having it was having bottled up his emotions in order to deal with the pain and guilt he had.

So when Haechan told him about his relationship, he couldn't believe he was going through something like that. How many times must a heartbreak break you before it truly gets through to you?

"Renjun!" someone calls from afar, causing him to snap out of his thoughts.

"Yangyang?" he asks as Yangyang comes running towards him, panting heavily from exhaustion, Renjun assumes. He notices the backpack in Yangyang's hands along with two paper bags filled with food. "Hey, should we hurry to the cafe now?" Yangyang asks him excitedly as soon as he reaches Renjun.

Renjun rolls his eyes playfully, "You're only excited to see that barista, aren't you?" he jokes, causing Yangyang to give a pout before grinning again. "Not you acting like you weren't drooling over that man that kept you company yesterday," Yangyang says as he offers him the paper bags, "you're welcome, by the way," he adds.

Renjun smiles and takes a look inside the bag, seeing a box of chocolate and vanilla-covered donuts. "Thanks," they both loved buying donuts outside the coffee shop because the goods in the coffee shop were surprisingly expensive and Renjun is already hurting his pockets by buying tea there every day. "Jeno is actually already taken so, sorry to burst your bubble."

"He's taken?!" Yangyang asks shocked.

Renjun nods in response to his question. "How is that so surprising? He's literally built like a Greek God. It would've been more surprising if he was single." Yangyang shakes his head. "Renjun finally had a crush after so long and he was taken this whole time? The universe must love fucking with you."

"Shouldn't you be worried about your own love life?"

"Trust me, that's exactly what I'm doing. It's also the reason why we are currently heading to the cafe right now," he shrugs nonchalantly, putting his arm around Renjun's neck and guiding him towards the campus exit. "Let's go!"

"That doesn't explain why I'm here though,"

"I need my best friend's emotional support, okay?" Yangyang replies defensively to which Renjun laughs.

"Fine, I get it, let's go."