eight

I spent the next few days keeping my interactions with 'the five' as the school called them, to the minimum

I spent the next few days keeping my interactions with 'the five' as the school called them, to the minimum. It was difficult to keep my distance especially from Adrien, Deliah and Valarie but I tried my best. My past experiences with people at school had always hurt me and since then, I'd never made any real friends.

I was in art class, painting a canvas while Mrs. Roseburry, our Art teacher was busy snoring and sleeping her arse off.

I glanced around to see Lucas suspiciously stare at me while painting his own canvas. I raise an eyebrow at him but he still continues to assess me, like he's trying to figure me out. My brush touches the canvas smoothly and at the end of the class, I see the result to be two people walking on the beach. That day with Nicholas was unknowingly one of the bests I'd had in a while, but painting it was intimate. It turned out to be one of the best pieces I'd painted, I smiled unknowingly while doing the final touches. It screamed peace and serenity and I wanted to do nothing more than frame it and hang it up on the wall in my room.

Realisation hit me and I saw Lucas was staring at my painting and not me. I gulp nervously, almost shaking my head in disappointment for blankly painting what came to my mind.

In the past few days, I'd noticed one thing about him. Lucas was observant. He acted like he was lost in one of his many books but he also listened. He usually didn't speak even when spoken to but he sees right through you. While Adrien was outgoing and welcoming, Lucas was closed off and a major introvert. Valarie had the personality of fucking sunshine and got what she wanted. Deliah was the badass of the group who was brutally honest and Nicholas was someone who I hadn't figured out. He never once approached me after the day on the beach and it was almost like it didn't happen. He gave me intense glares every time I saw him and once I caught him staring at me in French class the other day.

The bell rings and I breathe a sigh of relief. Just as I was washing the paintbrushes, Lucas stands right behind me and says, "I heard your conversation in the library the other day with that girl. Stella was it?"

I freeze and I wonder what this was about. He couldn't possibly know what I was thinking.

He adds, "I've been observing you for a few days. You're scared, terrified even. I can even see you shaking right now. You're being distant."

I turn around to face him, "I don't know what you're talking about Lucas."

He finished washing his palette, "But you do. See you at lunch Audrey. No more hiding. They miss you."

The moment he walks away, I release the breathe I didn't realise I was holding. Lucas was definitely onto me. This was the most he'd ever spoken to me. Holding a conversation with Lucas was spine-chilling. He wasn't a people's person but the way he could read you like an open book was terrorising.

I had to get him off my back. I sigh, knowing I couldn't sneak my lunch into the library today like I'd been doing for the past few days.

-

I sit with Valarie and Deliah in Biology and the look on their face when they saw me instantly made me feel guilty. Valarie immediately asked if she did something to make me uncomfortable and Deliah just passed me a comforting smile. I was going to take my chance and not let Stella's thoughts run in my head. This was my last year of school and I wasn't going to sulk. I'd promised my family I'd try to make myself happy. I wasn't about to sabotage myself and deprive myself a shot at normalcy. This was a starting point.

I smile at the two of them, "I'm sorry, everything's just overwhelming but I'm slowly adjusting."

Deliah squeezes my shoulder gently, "We understand and if you need anything, we're here for you."

Valarie looks at me intensely, like she's trying to figure out if my apology was genuine and then a smile breaks out on her face, "You don't have to apologise. We're good. Are we still on for the weekend?"

My face lit up as I remember her talking about going out over the weekend. I nod, grinning and say, "Can't wait!"

She claps her hands in excitement and the sound was a little too loud, our classmates turn around and stare at her. Valarie glares at them while crossing her arms over her chest, faking confusion. I almost start laughing and Deliah shakes her head slightly.

If this was what having friends meant, I was already loving it.

-

I saw Lucas pass me a small smile when I walked towards our table for lunch. I roll my eyes at that and shift my attention to Adrien and sneakily whisper in his ear, "Hi Blondie."

He almost falls off his chair, startled, clutching his hand to his heart and looks at me in disbelief, "You little— Audrey? Fuck, you scared me. I missed you."

He picks me up and lifts me into the air slightly as I laugh at his actions. I notice the students around us stare us weirdly and I tap his shoulder, almost screaming, "Put me down you idiot. Everyone's staring."

He puts me down immediately and runs a hand through his hair, staring right back at everyone who gradually lower their heads and get back to their food. I looked at the table and notice Deliah, Valarie and Nicholas were no where to be seen. Lucas had a slightly amused look on his face and I narrow my eyes at him after which he goes back to reading his book and eating his bagel.

Adrien slings an arm around my shoulder and pulls out a chair next to him. He winks at me playfully and passes me his chips, "My favourite blonde, apart from myself of course, how've you been? Tired of ignoring my incredibly handsome face already?"

I smile guiltily even though his tone wasn't serious, I quickly compose myself and say, "You bet your ugly arse."

He snatches the chips he passed me back, "I've never regretted sharing my fries with someone more."

I chuckle at that, taking another one of his 'fries', "I missed you too."

"Where's Val, Deliah and um, Nicholas?"

"Val and Deliah have a dance audition and Nik's in basketball practice."

I hum slightly, going back to my food. Adrien goes on about how his Math teacher pointed him out for being stupid and he trashed him by saying at least his life isn't as miserable to revolve around a thick math textbook. I laugh at that and the usual chatter in the cafeteria dies. We look towards the entrance to see an injured Nicholas whose nose was bleeding and jaw was bruised.

The three of us get up and immediately rush towards him.

Adrien was the first one to talk, "What the fuck happened? Weren't you in basketball practice."

Lucas seems to have connected the dots and he says, "Something happened at practice, you snapped and beat the shit out of someone."

Nicholas just wipes the blood off his nose and holds his handkerchief up to stop the bleeding, "It's nothing."

His perfect nose could be broken for all I care. I bet he could afford a nose job and get it fixed. Pushing my thoughts aside, I say, "Definitely doesn't look like nothing."

He looks at me in amusement, "I think you should see the other guy's face, chèrie." [darling]

I roll my eyes at that, "You need to get ice on that and check if it's broken."

Lucas opens his mouth and says, "Audrey, go take him to the school clinic. Adrien and I will take care of everything else."

I look at them in confusion and Adrien just mouths 'Go' and pushes both of us out of the cafeteria.