fourteen

I accidentally overslept on Monday morning and missed my first class: French

I accidentally overslept on Monday morning and missed my first class: French. A relatively new subject as I was still learning the basics. I was sure to fail my French class as I was already so behind and missing a lecture did not do any good.

I get ready in a rush with my school blouse not tucked properly, my blazer unbuttoned and my skirt being slightly rumpled. I jump out of my room and run across the dorm building into school, straight to my second class of the day—AP Math.

I walk into class, nervously as I know everyone stares when you come in late and that is exactly what happens to me. The teacher is surprisingly in a good mood and lets me off the hook for being late and I couldn't be more grateful.

I walk to my seat and see Deliah and Valarie sport an amused expression on their faces as they see my appearance. Valarie smoothens my skirt at the edges and Deliah adjusts my collar as I button up my blazer.

I clear my throat and say, "I kinda overslept"

Deliah just waves me off like it's no big deal, "We know."

In an assuring tone, Val says, "It's okay, A, really. Adrien once walked into school with shampoo in his hair. Today, also happens to be a very lazy Monday morning."

I laugh at that and our Math teacher continues going on and on about the most screwed up topic in the entirety of mathematics—Integration.

After the class gets over, Val and Deliah head to their Physics class. As I was walking in the corridor, I notice Mr. Dubois, my French teacher approach me. He was a man in his 30s who had a thick French accent and also a creepy aura.

His eyes meet mine and just as I was about to walk in the opposite direction, I hear him step closer to me and say, "Audrey?"

I press my lips into a thin line and turn around, "Yes?"

Mr. Dubois gives me a sly smirk, "I noticed you weren't present in class today."

The lie flows through my mouth, "I sincerely apologise, I had a personal obligation to attend to and therefore, had to miss your class."

Personal obligation? More like sleeping my arse off after staying up reading a mystery novel, The Inheritance Games.

"Well I wanted to give this to you," he passes me a corrected paper which was the a test I'd written on Friday. I look at the Grade—D. My paper wasn't bad enough to have a D. Maybe a C but definitely not a D. He moves closer, backing me into a corner and then suggestively adds, "If you want help and a better grade, meet me after your classes today. I'll help you, one-on-one."

Goosebumps erupt on my skin out of discomfort.

I muster up my strength and give him a pointed look, "That won't be necessary."

Mr. Dubois continues giving me the sly look, "You'll eventually come along if you don't want to fail in my class."

Not bothering to give him another glance, I start walking fast. While I was looking behind to see if he was still following me, I bang into someone and drop my books and papers on the floor.