Chapter 8

Eagletalon was sweating as he wove the last bramble into place, he was seriously considering to jump into a pond to cool off from the harsh greenleaf sun when a terrible shriek sounded in the nursery, his heart pounded when he realized the cry as Burnbright's.

He rushed inside to see her panting as ripples surged through her body.

"Get Jayfeather!" she cried weakly.

Eagletalon bolted outside, only to run in Dovewing, he tried to swerve around her, but she blocked him.

"What do you want?" he snapped impatiently.

Dovewing's eyes gleamed, "Revenge."

"Revenge on who?" he meowed, still trying to swerve around her.

"You and Burnbright."

"But....why?"

"Burnbright stole you from me! I should've been your mate, not her, not any cat else!" hissed Dovewing.

"ENOUGH!!!" Bramblestar had arrived to check on Squirrelflight, and had heard everything Dovewing had said.

Jayfeather and Eagletalon hurried into the nursery, where Burnbright was still wailing as Bramblestar confronted Dovewing.

Jayfeather was pressing his paws down, hard, onto Burnbright's stomach as she twisted on the mossy ground.

Moments later, a wet bundle slithered onto the nest and Burnbright panted with exhaustion as she slumped down onto the nest. The moment Jayfeather nipped open its sack, it crawled towards its mother and purred, suckling.

"It's a she-kit!" announced Jayfeather, turning his sightless blue eyes towards Eagletalon. Emotion burned in his eyes: pride and love. For a moment, Eagletalon saw his mother, her white fur glimmering and her green eyes sparkling not with fever and sickness, but with pride.

After Jayfeather left, Burnbright woke up from her nap and the happy parents gazed down at their daughter, with her snowy white pelt splattered with light gray spots.

"She's beautiful," whispered Burnbright.

"I think we should name her Spottedkit," decided Eagletalon.

"Good idea," mewed Burnbright drowsily, pressing Spottedkit to her stomach and falling asleep.