Chapter 9

Dovewing was absolutely fuming.

Her gaze strayed over to Eagletalon, and her claws sank into the soft soil as she spotted him sitting at the entrance to the nursery with Burnbright leaning on him, watching Spottedkit play in a small patch of sunlight. Anger flared inside her, she'd be able to give him way better kits than Burnbright! But he had to choose Burnbright instead of her, Burnbright deserved to die!

Rage blinded her and she tore at the ground in a frenzy, imagining it was Burnbright's flesh she was tearing into.

A bushy, fiery red tail laid on her back. Thinking it was Burnbright, Dovewing unsheathed her claws and sliced at the tail, only to hear a shocked cry. Turning around, she saw the most dangerous cat to anger: Squirrelflight.

Technically, if you annoyed Squirrelflight, she wouldn't mind. But if Bramblestar was nearby, you'd better say goodbye to your pelt.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" yelped Dovewing, glancing around anxiously.

"It's fine," assured Squirrelflight, her belly swaying as she flicked her tail forward to check the injury.

"But," Squirrelflight's voice grew serious, "Are you alright? You seemed tense and upset this moon."

"I-I-I-" Dovewing stammered, then broke down and poured out everything to Squirrelflight.

"I'm not surprised that Jayfeather had a son like that!" murmured the beautiful red she-cat.

Dovewing thanked the queen sincerely, but her brain immediately started working, if she announced this "secret" at a Gathering, Eagletalon and his littermates would be shamed and well, Burnbright would be too horrified to continue being mates with the tom and Dovewing could step in and take the chance!

Suddenly a warm bundle rolled over too Dovewing's paws. Looking down, she realized it was Spottedkit, and for the first time the gray she-cat had a good look of her kin. 

The she-kit had Burnbright's slim yet sturdy shape, her tail long and wavy, her pelt was pearl-white, speckled with light gray spots and her eyes were an intense shade of clear blue like Eagletalon. Anger overwhelmed Dovewing and she bared her teeth at the small kit, raising a paw with claws unsheathed.

Spottedkit squeaked and started wailing, attracting attention from all the cats in the clearing. Eagletalon darted towards them and for a moment, Dovewing dared to hope that he came over for her.

But Eagletalon grasped his daughter by her scruff and carried her towards the nursery, giving Dovewing a look of anger and cold dislike.

Burnbright hurried towards her kit and and licked her vigorously, then nudged her back into the nursery. Meanwhile, Eagletalon stalked towards the fresh-kill pile, his blue eyes flaming with anger and maybe, fear?

Dovewing felt her heart hardened with determination for revenge and an evil smirk worked its way to her lips.