iv. 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲

Marinette woke up screaming with tears pouring down her cheeks. After registering where she was, she realized someone was shaking her shoulders. Jon.

Marinette wiped her cheeks and launched herself into his arms. As Jon wrapped his arms around her, Marinette's sobs died down into little sniffles. He bent down and whispered into her ear, "Do you want to talk about it? It might help you feel better."

Marinette nodded slowly and mumbled, "It was a nightmare. Again. Of you dying. And I couldn't do anything." Her voice cracked at the last bit. "You were dying and there was blood, so much blood, and I was trying everything but it just kept on coming and coming and then...you just left. Stopped breathing." Her voice shook with the sobs that wracked her body.

As Jon waited for her to stop crying, he gently laid down on the bed with her still wrapped in his arms. She snuggled into him deeper, it was instinctual, even in her current state. Once she stopped, Jon stroked her silky hair and whispered, "I'm here. I here and I'm not leaving without you. Not now, not ever."

Marinette's broken voice floated into his ears. "You can't promise that. You can't control that."

Jon put his chin on her head as he said, "No, I can't." he agreed. "But I can try to. If I do, it won't be by choice. Only when you're in danger and it saves you will I die by choice."

Marinette wrapped her arms around his waist and looked up at him through her wet eyelashes, "Stay for the night?" she whispered.

In answer, Jon pulled the blanket up to their waists and dipped his head to give her a kiss telling her everything he couldn't say in words. I'm not going to leave you, I wish you didn't have these nightmares and I love you.