Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Jack Daniels

Corbin

I run my hands through my hair and lean back. I count the stars like I do every time I come here. No one knows about this place. Hidden behind a forest of trees sits a small clearing, wildflowers, and long grass that no one has touched. I found it when I was a mere boy, it was only the first time that I had run away from home, my dad was being an asshole, and with a bottle of Jack Daniels in my hand, I stumbled my way here.

It's become a tradition, I think as I stare at the half-empty bottle that lays nestled in the grass. My phone rings. Again. It's her. I know it is, but I couldn't be bothered to answer her. I need time and 3 days weren't nearly enough to set my head straight. A tone dials, indicating that she left a voicemail, I press play, "Corbin," I pause and take a breath when I hear her voice, "Please, come home." Then the tone beeps.

An hour later, she calls again. I don't answer this time either. "Goddamnit! Corbin!" I almost laugh at the anger in her voice. As if she has the right to be the angry one. I wait for her to speak again, but only a harsh sigh comes through, and then it's over. I'm surprised when she calls again, only a few minutes later. I let it ring.

And when it stops, is when I inhale again.

'You have one new message.'

I go to hit play, but I hesitate, Why am I doing this to myself? Hearing her voice feels like a blade running down my skin. It makes me feel hopeless and hopeful at the same time. When I finally grasp the courage I place the phone by my ear and hit play. Its silence at first, not at all quiet, but the voicemail sounds scratchy and static.

"Let me go!" These are the words that have me sitting up straighter. My lip pulls between my teeth as I try to understand what I'm hearing.

It's silent again. Not all quiet. 

"P-please don't do this to me." Before I have time to react I hear his voice. A male voice and that has me bolting. I rush to my car and race towards the town, his voice playing through my car's speakers.

"- I'm going to start cutting off all that chub and make you nice and skinny for me. Doesn't that sound nice, doll?" His words make my heart drop to my feet, I push down the accelerator with a force.

'Please, hold on baby, I'm coming.'

"No!No!No!" She screams in anguish, tears cloud my vision and I swear my car isn't moving fast enough. I rush through the quiet streets and look, I search for her desperately. I see her then and my heart almost leaps out of my chest.

"Jesus Christ." I pull over and jump out of the car. She's laying face down, there's blood everywhere. I turn her around and stare at her bruised face, my breath stays stuck in my lungs. I press my ear to her chest, the steady thump of her heart makes me sigh in relief.

"Come on baby, you have to wake up." I whisper and wipe the hair out of her face, "You have to wake up." 

The night is silent and dark. The harsh light of my car throws  shadows all around us, they stand gaping around us, like a crowd. 

"Corbin! Please...please help me." Her voice fills the air. And then comes the deafing beep. 

My eyes squeeze shut, and I release a shaky breath. I pick her up in both of my arms and gently lay her down in  the back of my car. I shrug off my hoody and carefully put it on her cold body. When the car starts, I take a deep breath and dial his number.

It rings for what seems like an eternity before he picks up.

"Corbin?" Comes his gruff voice. 

"I need your help-" I pause, "- father."