Chapter 1

DaphneJoy: The best way to start the day

1,000,000 likes ~ 8,000 comments

---

Being a single mother to a sixteen year old is a blessing because they are old enough to understand life but it's tough when they start to march to the beat of their own drum. My daughter has been pretty opinionated as of late and I am not digging the attitude that has come with it considering that she is still living under my roof.

She recently dyed her hair blonde without consulting me so I took her phone away for the week and I drove her to school everyday. I am acquainted with some of her teachers so I have told them to keep an eye on her because I don't know why she is acting up.

I was eighteen when I gave birth to my daughter which was really tough for me because I did not have my life together. Her father did not want to be part of the experience so he signed his parental rights away and I was not stable enough to raise my child.

Milan spent the first three years of her life bouncing between my one bedroom apartment and my father's home until I was stable enough to take her in fulltime. I really appreciate my father helping out since my mother left for the Philippines when I was twelve and I have not heard from her since.

"Don't you ever take that tone with me." I slap the counter with my bare hand as I glare at my daughter who has her face scrunched up. "Little girl if you don't stop making that face, I will slap it out of you."

"Whatever."

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH YOU?" I explode and her eyes widen in surprise since I am a very chill individual

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH YOU?" I explode and her eyes widen in surprise since I am a very chill individual. "I'm out here busting my ass to maintain the lifestyle that we live while you run your mouth as if you pay the bills. You don't know what my life is like, you don't know my struggle so watch your tone with me."

"Can I have my phone back?" Milan gestures to her phone that I'm holding in my hand.

"Every part of me wants to put this stupid device down the garbage disposal." Her eyes widen in horror as I hold her phone over the sink. "If you want your phone back then you tell me what is going on. Seeing how distant you've become is hurting me so bad because we only have eachother."