Chapter 3

DaphneJoy: Self care

1,000,000 likes ~ 6,000 comments

---

I sigh deeply as I look at my former lover's facebook profile and I remember the way he left me once I discovered that I was pregnant. We may have been considered adults at that stage but I had been with him for years prior to finding out that I was pregnant and I assumed that he would stick around.

I was still living in my father's home when I discovered my pregnancy and he sat me down to give me a long talk on how different my life was going to be. My father told me that I could stay at home but it was never going to work because he is a writer and he needed the house to be quiet.

Being a writer is a very stressful job so I was not allowed to invite people over when he was on a tight deadline because he needed to be full concentrated on his work. We were living in a three bedroom house with thin walls, a crying baby would have changed everything so I moved.

"I can't do this." I mumble to myself as the mouse hovers over the message button.

"You can do it." My dad places his hand on my shoulder and my bottom lip trembles as I click on the button. "I know that it is difficult but your daughter still deserves a chance. If Nathaniel chooses for things to remain the same then you get to say that you tried and that's more than enough."

Hey Nate,

I'm not sure if you remember me but we previously dated for two years in high school before ending things shortly after I found out about my pregnancy. I understand that you signed away your parental rights but my daughter would like to meet with you. If you are not willing to do so then please make that clear and don't try to string her along because this is a vulnerable moment.

Wish you well,

Daphne Tucci

It feels as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders as I press the send button. As I go to collapse into my father's arms, I hear a familiar sound that has me gasping at the realisation that he has messaged back.

Hey Daphne, it's been a while. 

Wow. I have been thinking about this moment for a really long time but I didn't know how to approach it since I signed my rights away. I would love to meet your daughter.

My dad clears his throat, "This is... it makes me feel conflicted."

"