Chapter 23

As the minutes ticked by the crowd became more and more restless. Soon they began to shout protests due to how long it was taking for the next match to start. At the same time, Team 7 grew worried that their teammate still hadn't shown up. Forfeiting the match weighed heavily in the air.

"Gaara isn't happy," Mai spoke under her breath.

Naruto followed her line of sight and saw the expression on the redhead's face.

"What's up with him?" Naruto muttered.

The Be Fong couldn't answer that question.

"So impatient," Temari sighed. "They should just disqualify him and get on with it."

"When is that idiot going to show up?" Shikamaru sighed.

"What are you talking about?" Naruto spoke up. "He's definitely going to come."

Another ninja approached Genma to relay some information before rushing off.

"Listen, everyone!" Genma announced. "One of the competitors for the next battle has not arrived yet. So we're going to postpone this match as of now and move on to the next one. However, if Sasuke Uchiha does not arrive before the first rounds are up, he will be disqualified."

Everyone shouted in retaliation. The match between Sasuke and Gaara was the one they had all been waiting for.

"Onto the next battle," Genma stated. "Shino and Kankuro! Come down!"

There was hesitation from the Sand Ninja.

"Proctor! I withdraw!" he suddenly announced. "So please advance to the next match!"

The audience stated yelling again in outrage. The other competitors looked at the older teen like he was insane. After his display during the Preliminary Exams and how he fought in order to get here, just to give up in the finals... it made no sense.

"Shino wins by default."

There was an unexpected gust of wind that silence the arena. Temari wasted no time, and floated down into the ring atop her oversize fan.

"Who are you?" the Proctor asked.

"It's my next turn, isn't it?" she questioned.

The man smirked. "Well, aren't you an eager one. Let's start the next match."

Now it was Shikamaru how hesitated.

"Shikamaru Nara, get down here!"

Mai could tell the Genin was nervous from the way he gripped the metal railing tightly and stared down into the arena. Though she didn't see why he needed to be. He was a genius and possessed a very powerful clan jutsu. He had done just find in the preliminaries.

"Alright, Shikamaru! Go for it!" Naruto exclaimed.

He slapped his friend on the back so hard that the force sent him pitching over the railing and crashing to the ground feet below. The Nara's surprised expression looked back at them from his upside-down positon.

"Maybe a little lighter next time, Naruto," Mai reasoned.

"Hurry up and fight!" the crowd began to shout.

"Yeah! Hurry up and finish this crappy match!"

"Get up, kid," Temari taunted. "How long are you going to lie there?"

"Hey, Shikamaru!" the knucklehead called down. "Good luck!"

Temari rushed forward without warning. Genma shouting that he hadn't started the match yet, but it fell on deaf ears. Her attack left a dust cloud in its wake. This was an unexpected display of strength for the audience. Even Shikamaru's speed to use two kunai in order to stand above the attack by utilizing the wall made the spectators grow interested in the match.