Chapter 31

Mai stood in the doorway to the hospital room, staring at Sasuke's unconscious body on the bed. When Gai had returned from his secret venture, he came straight to Kakashi's apartment. But the look on the Jounin's face was enough to know that something had happened. Asuma kept watch over his friend, while Gai led her to the hospital. A sense of dread to fill the girl the closer they got, but it lessened when they weren't headed towards the morgue.

The explanation to what had happened had been brief, before the Jounin left the girl alone. Eventually Mai moved inside. The Genin had to guess she had about ten minutes before Sakura came busting in and demanded answers. After all, the man went in search of her next.

"What did you get yourself into?" she muttered. "They won't tell me anything. Only that sensei and you will be in this coma until we get help from an outside source. Someone Naruto and Jiraiya went looking for. I don't understand why you ran out of Kakashi-sensei's apartment so quickly. The grownups keep skirting around the truth... And I'm worried about you. You're changing, but... not for the better."

The Be Fong took his hand and leaned down towards his ear. She could only hope he could hear her in this state.

"Please... whatever is going on, just stop. It's not worth it."

"Sasuke!"

The door flew open and Sakura paused, seeing her teammates.

"Mai?"

The girl pulled away and let go of his hand.

"Sorry... um... is he okay?"

"I don't know," the Be Fong answered.

"B-But Sasuke's strong! He'll get through this."

"Yes, but I'm not sure he will be the same."

Mai and Sakura stood in silence before the dark-haired girl headed towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Sakura asked when she passed.

"I... I have something to take care of. Watch over Sasuke, please."

The Be Fong knew she would be all too eager to agree and didn't wait for a reply.

Moving through the streets there was only one thing on her mind. She acknowledged Izumo who was guarding the gate. She walked down the road and left Konoha behind before peeling off down the hidden path. It was easier now to navigate, having grown used to the rough terrain as the bridge came into view and eventually finding the home. The door opened as Belva emerged.

"It's been a while since you've visited," the woman stated. "I was beginning to think you had forgotten me and didn't wish to train any further."

Neither had seen the other since the final rounds of the Chuunin Exam. And she didn't see the woman at the Hokage's funeral either. Though when the Genin said nothing in response to the tease, Belva grew serious.

"You seem to be more depressed than usual," she noted. "Did something happen?"

"I'm not sure..." Mai answered. "I was hoping you had some answers, since no one wants to answer my questions."

Belva was listening.

"Sensei and Sasuke are both in a coma, and I'm assuming by a common enemy. But no one will tell me anything. I know I'm just a lowly Genin and still a kid... but when Sasuke ran out of Konoha without an explanation as to why only to come back severely injured... it concerns me. And none of the Jounins will enlighten me. I'm frustrated. How am I supposed to help my team if I'm left in the dark? How am I supposed to help or protect them from danger if I don't know what's coming? How is the adults keeping information helpful?"