4

As Morgan entered the break room, the chatter of his co-workers ceased. He walked over to the counter, pulling the 'Folgers' tub down from the cabinet and starting some coffee.

"I don't mind being the topic of conversation. I'd participate if you'd let me though," he turned to face them as the coffee began to pour into the pot. 

They glanced at each other, unsure, and one answered, "We just think it's strange that you can work for Alex every day and you come out with a smile on your face. No one else will even go in there unless there's no other option."

"For me it's kind of like a game. I learned what makes certain types of people tick and how to talk to them. Alex and I have more in common than you might imagine. I just talk to him like I'm not afraid of him and I think he appreciates that," Morgan explained. He turned back and finished making the coffee, then left them to their gossip. 

He entered Alex's office to find him shouting at someone over the phone. He didn't acknowledge Morgan walking toward his desk until he hung up the phone and looked up, taking the coffee.

"Sounds like you're having a good day," Morgan quipped.

Alex rolled his eyes, "Smartass." He took a sip of the coffee and looked hard at Morgan.

Morgan gave him a thumbs-up and turned to leave. 

"Hey Morgan?" He stopped and looked back at Alex, "How much importance do you place on following the rules?"

Morgan shot him a strange look, "Absolutely none."

Alex held his gaze, only speaking after a few moments, "It's bold to be so honest about something like that with your boss."

Morgan chuckled, "It's all part of the game."

Alex watched Morgan walk away, intrigued.

-----

This one was actually unexpectedly difficult to achieve, but I'm happy with the result.