Chapter 4

Just as Steve and I sat down to eat the pasta there was a knock on the door. Steve walked over to the door as I lingered behind trying to act casual. 

"Hi we're your neighbors" a woman's voice announced. I walked to the door next to Steve as he wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me in close I looked to see a woman and a man with a plate of cookies.

"Hi I'm Alyssa and this is my husband Chris" I smiled cheerfully at the man and woman. They looked like your typical suburban couple clean, rich and old. 

"I'm Alex and this is my wife Meredith" the man said as he stared intensely at Steve and I. The woman handed me the plate as I thanked her. "Would you like to come in?" Steve asked politely as I joined him back at the door. 

"Oh no we just wanted to invite you guys for dinner tomorrow night, a little welcome into the neighbourhood " Meredith grinned. "Oh, we'd love to come" I smiled as Steve nodded. Acting casually and blending in was necessary.

"Well see you tomorrow at six then" Alex said as they walked away. Steve and I walked back to the dinner table. "They seem-" I started at a loss for words "robotic" Steve finished for me as I laughed. 

Steve offered to wash up as I walked up the stairs tired from fake unpacking. I picked out some pyjamas as I placed them in the bathroom. 

I showered quickly and got dressed for bed, when I walked back into the room Steve was already in bed. I got in next to him but facing away.

The silence was awkward "goodnight" I said breaking it "goodnight Alyssa" Steve replied making me smile as I soundly fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up to arms around my waist. Steve was still asleep next to me snoring softly. I laid still for about ten minutes before I gave in.

I tried wiggling out of his arms but his grip was strong "Steve" I whispered and after no response I tried again "Steve" I said louder and he finally stirred awake.

He looked at me confused until I gestured towards his arms he quickly let go apologising in the process. I watched as his cheeks tinted a shade of pink.

"So when do you start work?" I asked as we both got up simultaneously starting to make the bed.

"Not sure actually I'm waiting to get a call for a potential meeting and then we'll go from there" he replied. 

"I can go start on breakfast until you get dressed" Steve suggested and I nodded walking into the bathroom ready to officially start my suburban life.

♡♡♡

I was sobbing 🤪

I was sobbing 🤪