Chapter three

"Here you go." the waiter handed them their food. Both of them gladly took it from the waiters hands and didn't waste time to dig in. "Can I have a bite of yours?" Arlo asked, looking at Egon's spaghetti. He squinted his eyes, "Don't eat all of it." he pushed his bowl to the other side of the table. Before she could take a bite, a loud scream came from the kitchen.

     Arlo ran to a chef being carried out. "It was a ghost! I swear!" the chef explained, eyes as wide as they could be. "You saw a ghost? What did it look like?" Arlo questioned. "It was rotting, and, and, oh my god." the chef covered his mouth. Egon ran to the scene, following Arlo. "I'll check it out." Arlo tried to walk into the kitchen, but a waiter tried to stop her, "This isn't any of your business."

     "We're ghostbusters. It is our business." Egon said. The waiter stepped away from the entrance, allowing the pair into the steaming kitchen. "Did you call them?" Arlo whispered. "I did, they're on their way." Egon informed. They crept around the corner, but Arlo paused in her tracks. "Egon, look." she grabbed his arm. "Oh." he whispered. "What do we do?" she whisper-yelled. "We wait for them to arrive with the traps." Egon said. "Oh, great." Arlo saw the ghost chef look towards them. It's face was pale and rotting. It screamed at them and began to throw pots, utensils, and pans at them.

     Egon grabbed Arlo's hand making the two run out of the kitchen. Arlo blushed at his action as they both tried their best to avoid the flying knives coming at them. They managed to get out of the kitchen with only a few bruises. Right on time, the boys got here. "You two got it?" Egon asked. Peter scoffed, "Pshh, of course we do." Arlo rolled her eyes as she heard Peter and Ray screaming. "I don't understand where they get their confidence from." Egon sighed. "Me neither."

     Thankfully, they managed to get the chef ghost trapped with only a few scratches and bruises. "Remind me to never go against a ghost in a kitchen ever again." Ray emerged from the kitchen. "You two can finish your meal." Peter said as he came out behind Ray. "Well, it'll be cold by now." Arlo sighed. "We can heat it up at the firehouse. We do in fact have a microwave." Egon informed. "Ah yes, the microwave from hell."

     After Egon paid for the food(unwillingly), the pair got a ride from Ray and Peter back to the firehouse. "So, how was the date?" Peter asked as he drove. "Will you shut up about it? You two have asked three times already." Arlo groaned. "Fine." Peter mumbled. The group finally reached the firehouse. "Took ya long enough." Janine rolled her eyes as the four walked in.

"I'll go ahead and heat it up." Arlo took the leftovers from Egon's hands and made her way to the microwave. "So how'd the date go? You know, before the knife throwing ghost ruined it." Ray nudged Egon. "Like I keep on telling you, it wasn't a date."

"But you confessed your feelings for her in the bar! Sucks she wasn't there for that." Peter teased. "Oh, shut up. I'm glad she wasn't there for that." Janine laughed, "He's a pain in the ass to take home drunk. Always whining about Arlo." Egon sighed, embarrassed.

Arlo came back with the heated up meals. "It's ready." Arlo announced. Janine, Peter, Ray, and Egon stared at her. "What?" she questioned. "Nothing. Come on, let's go to my office." Egon grabbed her arm and rushed her upstairs. "Hey! What's going on?" she asked. Egon quickly closed the door behind him, exhaling in relief.

Arlo set his leftovers on his desk before moving some papers and books off a chair and sitting in it. "I don't know if it heated up well, but I hope it did." she said. "Hey, these aren't my leftovers." Egon looked up at Arlo who was already taking a bite of his spaghetti. "Heh." she grinned. Egon rolled his eyes with a chuckle. "You can have it." he sat down in his chair and began to eat the chicken alfredo.

     "So. Janine was talking to me earlier today." Arlo began. Egon looked up at her, "Ah, what was she saying?" he asked curiously. "Well, you know. Just that you've got feelings for me or something." Arlo shrugged, taking another bite of the spaghetti. Egon spit out his food with a cough. "Sorry, that just, uhm." he cleared his throat as he wiped up the food.

"So is that a yes?" Arlo quizzed. Egon loosened his tie. "How about we discuss this later." he suggested. "Later? Why not now?" Arlo asked. Egon cleared his throat, pointing to the door which had the silhouettes of three people peering in. "Ah, I see." Arlo banged on the door making the three run off.

"Is the spaghetti good?" Egon asked. Arlo smirked, "Absolutely delightful." Egon nodded, "Glad to hear." He stood up and threw away the leftovers in the rubbish bin nearby. He walked over to Arlo and leaned in, "Can I have a bite?" he asked. Arlo became flustered by the act. She nodded, handing him the bowl. He took a bite and handed her back an empty bowl. "You son of a bitch. You took the last bite!" she stood up, inches away from him.

His figure dominated hers, making her step back a bit. "You were saying?" he asked. "I'm going to my office. Thanks for paying for the food." she quickly left Egon's office and ran down to hers. "I don't like him. I don't like him. I don't like him." she whispered to herself. "You don't like who, hun?" Janine questioned. Arlo looked to her with an embarrassed grin. "Heh, nothing." she said before closing the door to her office.

     "She likes him." Janine nodded to herself as she continued to read her magazine. Arlo sat down at her desk, trying to calm herself down. "What the hell is wrong with me?" she asked herself. Her heartbeat racing after Egon's interaction with her. "Must be sick or something." she shook her head, trying to get Egon out of her mind.

     Egon picked up Arlo's fork. "Does she want this back?" he asked himself. He shrugged, thinking it would be best to return it to her anyways.

     Arlo was still freaking out when Egon knocked on her office door. She let out a scream, causing Egon to burst in. "Arlo? Are you alright?" he asked. Arlo was on the ground as she had fell out of her seat. "Don't, don't do that again." she waved her hand at him, trying to catch her breathe. "I shouldn't knock on the door?" he questioned. "Shut up." she whispered. "I brought your fork back. Where do you want it?" he asked. She shot up and grabbed the fork out of his hand. "Thanks. You can leave now. Yep." she said as she pushed him out of the door.

"Oh-" was all he managed to say before the door shut on his face.