Chapter five

After a while of silly arguments about who would get the bed and who would get the couch, the pair finally decided just to sleep on the bed. "You are such an idiot." Arlo mumbled as they got into bed. Egon grabbed a book of his bedside table and began to read. "What book is that?" Arlo asked.

     He turned the book cover to her. "Ah. Ok." she nodded. Around his room were shelves with jars of fungi and spores inside. Arlo turned her head to look at Egon. The light of the lamp reflected off his glasses. "What do you want?" he asked as he closed his book. "Just bored." she turned away. "You could sleep."

"That's true."

"So why don't you?"

     "I dunno." Arlo turned to him. Egon took his glasses off and set them on the bedside table. "I'll turn the light off." he said. "Alright." Egon turned the lamp off.

"It's dark in here."

"Of course it is."

"Sorry."

"Did you just touch me?"

"What? No."

"It really seems like you did."

"I didn't mean to."

"Mhm."

"You annoy me."

"Love you too."

     Arlo paused. "Sorry. That was too quick." Egon cleared his throat. "Right. Goodnight." Arlo turned away from him. It took her a while to get to sleep, but when she finally did, she ended up snuggled with a pillow and half of the blanket on her. Egon had slept at the edge of the bed, trying his best to stay on the bed, but also let Arlo have her space.

     The pair slept in until around 10 a.m. "Curse the sun." Arlo groaned as the light from the sun got in her eyes. She rolled over onto Egon, who was still at the edge of the bed resulting in him falling onto the ground. "Ow." he mumbled. "Shit!" Arlo exclaimed as she rolled off the bed as well. "Good morning." Egon chuckled.

     "Why were you at the edge of the bed?" Arlo questioned while getting off of him. "Just wanted to give you some space." he sat up. "You know, you could've just let me take the couch." Arlo stretched. "Oh, let's not get started on that." he sighed. Egon walked out of the bedroom and to the kitchen to make coffee.

     "How do you make your coffee?" he yelled from the kitchen. "Oh, I don't drink coffee." she replied. Egon peeked his head out, "Really?" Arlo emerged from the bedroom, "It doesn't agree with my guts." she scratched her back. "Oh. Ok." he mumbled. Arlo sat on the couch and turned on the television.

     Egon came out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee and a cup of orange juice. He sat down on the couch, giving the cup of oj to Arlo. "Ooo." she smiled as she took the cup from him. "That's all I had besides milk and beer." Egon said. "Milk and beer? Really?" Arlo scoffed. Egon shrugged while taking a sip of his coffee.

      "We should probably head to headquarters." Arlo sighed. "We probably should." Egon looked over to Arlo. "Can I use your shower?" she asked. "Sure." Egon got up and showed her where the bathroom was. "I'll be out soon." Arlo announced as she closed the door.

     About ten minutes later, Arlo came out of the bathroom with a towel draped over her. "Egon. I need clothes." she said. He looked over to her and nearly spat out his coffee. "Sorry." he gulped, "Right. I'll get some clothes for you." He ran to his room. After a few, he came out with a set of clothes for Arlo to wear.

     She quickly took the clothes and ran back into the bathroom. "These are so big! Jeez, you sure are tall." Arlo exclaimed. "I'm sorry. It's all I've got. It's not like I have women over." Egon leaned on the wall outside the bathroom. Arlo came out, dressed in Egon's clothes, which were long and baggy on her. "Honestly, if the pants were shorter, I think I'd wear this." she said.

     "We should get going." Egon furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm going to be a laughing stock." Arlo sighed. "Yes, you are." Egon nodded. "Gee, thanks for the support, Spengler." she scoffed. Egon grabbed his keys and his wallet and opened his apartment door. Arlo walked out behind him, looking around to make sure no one saw her.

     "Why are you hiding behind me?" Egon questioned as he locked the door. "This is embarrassing." Arlo mumbled. He laughed, "You've never stayed over at a guys house?" Arlo rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. Egon wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "The guys will be waiting."

"I know."

"You won't be able to sneak past them."

     "I could run really fast past them and straight into my office." she looked up at Egon. He gave her a crooked smile, "That's just as suspicious." Arlo sighed as they made it to the elevator. "I'll just have to face them. No getting out of this." she whispered to herself.

     Another lady got in the elevator with them. She gave the pair a questionable stare. Arlo coughed and hid behind Egon. He got a kick out of it, but tried his best to hold in his laughs.

     When the pair arrived at headquarters, Ray, Peter, and Janine awaited their arrival in the front. "I knew it!" Janine jumped up and down. "Give me the fifty bucks." she held her hand out at Peter. Peter rolled his eyes, digging in his pocket for a bill. Ray ran up to Arlo, "You didn't really... you know..." Ray began, but Egon pulled Arlo away. "Just get some work done. I'll take you home tonight." he whispered in her ear as he escorted Arlo to her office.

     He closed the office door as soon as she was inside. She dug in her cabinets for spare clothes, but couldn't find any. "Just my luck." she grumbled. She sat down at her desk. A malfunctioning trap laid on her desk. "Back to work." she grabbed tools out of a drawer and began her work for the day.