"Who Knew Doing Something Illegal Would Be So Fun?"

"So how did you find out B was your dad?" Dick asked. He saw Marinette tense up a little bit before answering. "I found out Bruce was my father," she emphasized the word subtly but subtle enough, "during a school project."

"A school project?" Dick questioned.

"I was supposed to do a project on my family tree. I guess I could've done my project on his side of the family. I think I was subconsciously curious about my biological father. I never asked my mom about him, figuring he ruined her life and I didn't need him. I asked my mom before I checked the results. She told me then," Marinette said.

"What do you mean ruined her life?" Dick asked, his brows furrowed.

"My mother's parents disowned her. She was pregnant, not married, and the father wasn't in our lives. She got kicked out and with the help of her older brother she was able to make it to Paris, to make a new life for her and me. My dad came into our lives when I was 2 and the rest was history."

"I didn't know that," Dick said. Sabine was a nice woman. She always found some way to make sure Dick felt happy or loved despite not being his mother, despite just being Bruce's girlfriend, and despite what the media said. She was the first out of the three girlfriends of Bruce he didn't hate.

"I resented Bruce for it. Thought my mother wouldn't have had such a hard life if he had just been there but... What happened and I learned the story, and I don't blame him anymore," Marinette said.

"So what are your parents like?" Dick questioned, taking another cookie. "Save some cookies for the others," Marinette said.

"My parents are nice. Give me everything I need. They've been busy lately because of the upcoming holiday. I wish I was there to help them," Marinette said.

"Oh. What are they?" Dick asked. "Uh, humans," Marinette said with a smile. Dick let out a chuckle before asking, "What is their occupation?"

"Besides me, they're bakers. Own the best bakery in all of Paris," Marinette said with a small smile playing on her lips. Dick analyzed her expression. She looked happy and loved and Dick couldn't remember the last time he felt like that.

"Your birthday is in May, right? May 25th," Dick said. "How do you know that?" Marinette asked. "I saw your file remember," Dick replied.

Marinette made a noise of acknowledgment. "What are all these questions about?"

"Just getting to know my little sister better," Dick said. At those words, Marinette froze and accidentally cut her finger with a knife.

"Merde," she whispered underneath her breath. She sucked on the cut, the taste of iron on her taste buds. Dick got up from his seat. "I think we have bandages somewhere here," he said, hunting for the small medical supplies.

He found them in the second drawer and handed one to Marinette. "Thanks," Marinette said, washing the cut under the faucet. Marinette quickly opened the bandage and wrapped it around her middle finger.

"I better wash that knife better," Marinette attempted to joke but it didn't have the same playful tone.

Marinette's phone rang and Marinette quickly dried her hands to watch it. "Hey, what's up?" Dick watched as Marinette's facial expression said. "Yeah, lemme go check," Marinette quickly left the room and ran to where, Dick assumed, was her room.

Dick wondered what that was about. The only time he had ever seen Marinette run that fast was when he found out she was Bruce's daughter. It was a few minutes later that the timer rang.

Dick knew that the small timer couldn't be heard from where Marinette's room was. He was about to head over to her room when she came rushing in, her phone on her shoulder, her head making sure it stayed there.