Chapter 1

Lacey stood in front of the big wooden doors belonging to Big Loud Records, her heart racing, hands shaking, and mouth dry. A few weeks prior when she received the letter asking her to move to Nashville and write songs for Big Loud she was hesitant because she knew he would be there. She had barely spoken to him in nearly seven years and she wasn't looking forward to the day she would. Today might very possibly be that day. But Addie, her best friend, had talked some sense into her, convincing her to follow her dreams in music and not let anyone get in the way.

           She took a deep breath and opened the door, the metal doorknob cold on her hands. She couldn't believe she was really about to start working at one of the most infamous records in the business. She had been in love with music ever since she was young and had always dreamed of making it big, moving to Nashville, and working with all the big stars, and now she was. She never thought that after sending in some of her material she would actually get hired, but she did.

     She already had a few big songs out, but no one knew they were hers. She didn't get the credit for them and didn't want it, this way at least she didn't have to speak to him ever again. Or so she thought. He had reached out multiple times asking to give her a commission or put her name on the songs, but she had said no. She didn't want anything from him ever again.

     She walked to the front desk, seeing an older lady with glasses perched on her gray hair. "Hey, I'm Lacey. Lacey Ferman. Today is my first day."

     "Well nice to meet you Lacey, I'm Miss Jean"

     She was had a very calming voice that immediately made Lacey more relaxed and comfortable.  

     "Today you're gonna be working with Harper Lott, a fellow songwriter.  She also helps with scheduling  and keeps this place running. She is in the meeting room down the hall to your left. Just let me know if you need anything!" she said with a sweet smile

"Ok, thank you so much!"

     Miss Jean reminded Lacey of her grandma, with her sweet southern accent. She missed Sneedville already, but she knew that Addie was right, she couldn't miss an opportunity like this. That was another thing she was gonna miss- Addie. They had been best friends since the 5th grade and she had gotten her through some of the hardest times in her life and was always there for her when her actual family wasn't. 

     Lacey pushed those thoughts out of her head and went down the hall to meet Harper. She walked in to meet a tall girl with wavy auburn hair and freckles scattered across her face. Harper got out of her chair with a smile and walked up to Lacey, giving her a big hug. 

     She stepped back saying "You must be Lacey, I'm Harper nice to meet you! Sorry I probably should've introduced myself before throwing myself at you like that" she said putting a hand up to her face "Im a hugger" she said with a small laugh.

     Lacey gave a big smile saying "Its nice to meet you! Don't worry about it, I'm a hugger too" They immediately clicked and suddenly she didn't feel quite so homesick. They sat down and began to talk about songs they had been working on, and Harper let Lacey know how everything ran at Big Loud. 

     "Dang girl you have some pretty amazing ideas" said Harper. "You are definitely gonna fit in here". 

  "Thank you, I was pretty nervous that y'all were gonna to hate my songs" 

"Absolutely not, they are awesome!"

They had been working for a few hours, but the time had flown by and it was almost time for dinner. 

"I think me and my friend Lainey are going to grab some pizza or something if you wanted to tag along"

"Yea for sure, I don't have any plans"

"Ok great, we are going to meet her there"

"Y'all will have to show me all the places to go since I am new to town"

"Oh yeah, for sure. I'll show you all the good bars too" 

"You definitely need to show me those. " They both shared a laugh.

"Do you just want me to give you a ride?"

"That'll be great if you could!"

"Alrighty then I'm gonna show you the best pizza place in town! The garlic knots will blow you away." 

Harper grabbed her stuff and walked out the door as Lacey started putting papers away and putting her songbook back in her bag. Lacey then left the meeting room and headed toward the front doors following Harper. 

As she opened the door she ran into another person that was walking in. Stopping dead in her tracks and looking up, her green eyes met those blue ones she had tried so hard to forget these last seven years. It felt as if time had stopped and suddenly she was a naive sixteen year old girl all over again. He was all grown up but it was still him. Morgan. Morgan Wallen. 

"Lacey?" He said, eyes wide with a dumbstruck look on his face.

She said nothing and brushed past him walking towards Harper's car.