Chapter 2

8 years ago-  It was the summer before my junior year and Morgan, Mason, Addie, and I were hanging out by the lake, soaking up the last days of freedom before we had to go back to school. I had always thought of Morgan as a friend. I mean I had always thought he was cute, but lately something has been different. I'm not really sure how to explain it, he has just been treating me differently. I knew nothing would ever really come of it, Mason was too protective over me, and normally Morgan would join in on keeping every boy that looked my way far far away. The water was freezing so me and Addie were laying on the dock, getting a tan while Morgan and Mason swam. It was their last summer here as they were both going off to college soon after school ended. My relaxing was interrupted by strong arms picking me up and jumping in the freezing cold water. "WHAT THE HELL! MORGAN COLE WALLEN I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!" 

"Aw loosen up Lace, you gotta enjoy the summer while it lasts", Morgan said, his hands lingering on my sides a little too long, making me feel things I had never felt before

"I was enjoying it thank you very much" I said, while splashing him and pushing those thoughts out of my head.

"No, you were being boring, now why don't you have some fun with me"  he shot me one of those stupid grins. I couldn't help but smile back. I mean how could you stay mad at a face like that?

We got out of the water and dried off then headed home. As we were walking Addie pulled me to the side. "I see what you are saying, he is being more flirty than normal" 

"I know" I said with a little grin

"Somebody has a crushhhh" Addie said in a singsong voice.

"Maybe, but Mason would strangle us both"

"Well maybe Mason doesn't need to know" she said, smirking. Before I got the chance to answer I heard Morgan yell

"Lacey, Addie, get yall's asses up here! Its time for dinner!"

Today- Lacey hopped in the passenger seat of Harper's white Range Rover and sat there staring out the windshield, all the memories of Morgan flooding  through her head.  

"Hey, are you alright?" asked Harper. "It looked like you and Morgan had a moment back there. Do y'all know each other?

"Yea you could say the. He was friends with my brother back home. We were pretty close, but it didn't go so well when he left to come here for his career" I said, leaving out most of the story

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It must suck to have to work with him now"

"Yea, I almost didn't accept the job offer"

"So, it must have really ended bad"

"Yea, it did, we have only talked maybe three times the past seven years"

"Not be nosy or anything, but were y'all dating when he left?"

"No, not dating, but I would say we were more than friends" 

"Well how about we go get some pizza and stop worrying stupid boys"

"Sounds perfect to me!"

Harper pulls out of the parking lot and they head to Luigi's Pizza. They walk in and Harper heads towards a girl with dirty blonde hair, sitting in a booth. The girl turns around and Lacey immediately recognizes her to be Lainey Wilson. She has always been a big fan of hers and never intended to ever meet her. 

"Hey girl!" Lainey said. "Long time no see."

"I know we haven't seen each other in three days. That is way too long!"

They both laughed.

"Well who is this that you brought here?" Lainey softly patted Lacey on the shoulder, and smiled.

"This here is our new writer at the label, Lacey Ferman."

"Nice to meet you Lainey, I love all of your music!" Lacey said trying to hide her excitement.

"I've heard about you too, Harper showed me some of your work. We should really write together soon!"

Lacey could barely contain the giant smile that appeared on her face when Lainey said that. 

"Yes, for sure! I would love that!"

They sat down at the booth and soon the waiter came by to get their orders. Lacey ordered a Vodka sprite and they all shared a pizza. Throughout the night, she couldn't get Morgan out of her head, she couldn't believe she saw him today. But she was really enjoying Harper and Lainey's company and didn't want the thought of him to distract her from that, so she pushed him out of her head and focused on her newfound friends.

The girls laughed and drank for hours. They all shared stories and Lacey was relieved that she had found her people.