Chapter 6

After the girls finally got out of bed, Harper made some pancakes and they all sat on the island eating and talking. As they were talking, Lainey asked 

"So girl, I gotta know what happened between you and Morgan"

Lacey knew this question was coming but was dreading it nonetheless.

"I saw the way he looked at you last night. When he saw you with Blake I swear I could see steam coming out of his ears"

Lacey gave a little sigh before saying "Basically he was my brother's best friend and me and my best friend were close with both of them. We would all hang out a lot. Me and Morgan started getting uh... closer, the winter of my junior year, I mean we weren't dating or anything. No one knew except Addie because Mason would have actually killed Morgan if he knew. Mason was very protective over me and Morgan was known for messing around with girls all the time. So Mason would've really lost his mind if he knew he was messing around with his little sister. Morgan had to leave for college that next summer, but it wasn't going to be a big deal because he was just going to UT so it wasn't far from home. We were gonna try to stay in touch. But, then he decided to come here instead which yes, that's not what I wanted him to do, but I wasn't going to stop him from following his dreams. I knew he had talent and he didn't need to just waste that. When he left, it... well, it was bad. " said Lacey, a look of pain on her face" We have only spoken a few times over the last 7 seven years before last week" 

"Wow, that's a lot a background between y'all," said Lainey

"Yea" 

"Have y'all talked about it?" asked Harper

"No, he tried to the other day but I just can't. I called him multiple times in the weeks after he left and he wouldn't answer. Then a few months after, he called me almost every day for weeks, but I would never answer. He had his chance."

"I get that but don't you think it might be good to get some closure," said Harper

"I do, and someday I will, but now I just can't"

"Ok, well we are here for you no matter what," said Lainey

"Thank y'all and don't want y'all to treat him differently now, he is a good guy, and that's all in the past"

They both agreed and Lacey was feeling extra grateful for her new friends. 

After breakfast, Lacey decided she was going to go out and explore a bit since she hadn't since she had moved 2 weeks ago. She wasn't much for crowds so downtown was out of the question. She headed to a fairly populated town on the outskirts of Nashville called Franklin. It had a cute little square with lots of shops and restaurants. Everything was very historical with mostly brick buildings and old relics from the civil war era. 

She shopped around a bit and got some very cute clothes along with some jewelry. Then she went into a little cafe, ordering a cup of coffee and a muffin. It was towards the beginning of March and the weather was unusually warm so Lacey grabbed a small table outside and enjoyed her snack, watching the hustle and bustle of the square. 

After she finished eating she decided to just go for a drive through the backroads. There was a lot of farmland around, with plenty of scenic routes. She hopped in her bronco and rolled the windows down, blasting some of her favorite songs. It was nice for her to have a day for herself, away from all the stress. This reminded her of home. It was crazy to think there was such a rural place so close to the city, but there was. She needed to start looking for a place out here if she was going to continue to work in Nashville.  She could definitely see her self sitting on the back porch of some farmhouse, writing songs. That would be like paradise to her. Her small apartment downtown worked for now, but it was only a lease and Lacey was tired of living downtown, even after just 2 weeks. 

Maybe this whole living and working in Nashville would work after all...