Blue Tuesday

December 1st.  Time drifted us into the last month of 1987 and I was admittingly addicted to the man by this point.  New York who? Where?  Me, my heart and my vagina were far too pampered to think of leaving or to even allow me to remember I had a "husband" elsewhere.  On top of that, I was running wild with Prince's "mi casa es su casa" generosity too.

Traditionally, my mother would take off work and let me skip school the first of December to transform our house into a festive wonderland.  Since I had no plans to leave, I put some Christmas records on and was doing up Galpin instead.  Prince came home completely speechless seeing all the bags overflowing on the couch.

     "Hey, sexy love," I said from the top of the ladder.  With a box of striped candy canes in hand, I was on tree number one in the living room.  "Don't worry.  I ran up my own cards this time."

     "Did you leave anything left for the rest of Minneapolis?"

     "Listen, until you kick me out, you're going to deal with it." 

     "Well, that'll be never anytime soon." 

     Prince started to hint towards leaving so he could come back surprised.  I told him it wasn't going to be done in one day but he still excused his way out after meeting me halfway on the ladder.  "Love you," he said giving his lips, and as I took them, a flash of weakness hit me.

      "You're going to make me fall off this ladder."

      Chuckling, he gave me a little more before jumping off, taking stolen bits of me with him.

     "Love you too," I sang watching him disappear towards the kitchen.  "Bring me back some pizza!"

     A couple hours after he left, Cat called the house interrupting me.  "What do you want, Catty cakes?  He's not here."  

     "Damn, girl, I'm calling for you."

     "For what?"

     "You wanna come out to L.A.?  Tonight?"

     "See, no.  Trying to get me in trouble again?"

     "It'll be fun."

     That didn't answer my question. 

     "I wanna introduce you to some people."

     "No, fuck your people."

     She screamed in laughter.

     "Prince had a fit last time."  Word spread to him fast.  When I got home from the club, Prince's wrath was already waiting for me.  I didn't ask for that guy to latch onto me all night like a leech.

     Just then, I heard the side garage door open and close.  Cat continued to try and convince me to hop on a plane and Prince came in spinning his keys on his finger. 

     Pausing, he looked at me and smiled, laughing a little.  "I forgot why I came here."

     Eyebrows pulled together, I asked him where my pizza was.

     "What?" Cat questioned me.

     "Not you.  Chica, maybe in a few days but only if my macho man lets me."

     "Oh, that's Cat?" Prince asked walking up. 

      Casually, he stole the phone along with my conversation.  Going out to L.A. didn't sound appealing at all.  It was too sunny there.  So I let them talk and went back to my home holiday makeover.