Epilogue

October 1988

The room was dark with only stripes of orange light across the blinds. I was trying to doze off but that wasn't so easy as of lately.

The phone sitting on my nightstand sounded off and before a full ring could get out, I quickly reached and lifted it. Then slowly, I brought it to my ear and whispered hello.

"Raven?"

My heart shot up to my throat, hearing a voice I hadn't heard in so long, a voice I would never expect to vibrate through the small holes of my telephone at four in the morning.

"It's Prince." It was weird that he thought it was necessary to announce himself. "Sleeping?"

"Mm-mm." Slow and quiet, I started to sit up.

"Valeria gave me your number when I called her earlier."

I was swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, careful not to make it squeak.

"I'm in New York, for a show. Um..."

Now my heart was expanding, falling out of my ears.

"Can I see you?"

"Am I dreaming?"

"No," he said with a small laugh. "I just miss you."

The anger I kept capsuled wouldn't pop. Instead, I was turning into mush at the depth of his voice and the choice of his words. "Hold on," I said.

"Why are you whispering?"

"I don't wanna wake the person sleeping next to me."

"Who is sleeping next to you?"

My feet slid in my slippers and I pushed myself up to stand. "Please don't hang up, okay? I'm going to switch phones." Waiting for Prince's verbal confirmation, I looked over my shoulder to see my bedmate hadn't moved.

"Fine. Hurry up."

"'Kay." Gentle, I rested the phone on the wooden table top and tip toed out of my bedroom.

As I was pulling the door shut, the hinges creaked, causing me to stop with an inch still open. But that was good enough. I had been waiting for this moment. I wasn't planning to carry on a conversation with Prince. I was going to ask him where to meet. I was going to leave a note behind on the counter and put my shoes and jacket on and grab my car keys. I was going to drive to him and scream at him and say whatever else I needed to say.

Clicking the lamp on, I went to the phone sitting on the side table and put it to my ear. I was met with a dial tone.

I threw the phone to the floor and stomped to my bedroom, cutting the light on as I punched the door opened. Nazim was standing by my nightstand smiling.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said. "Was that the kind fellow who taught you all those moves? I seriously should've thanked him before just hanging up, huh?"

"You fucking asshole! That call was important!"

"Who is calling you at four in the morning?"

"And who were you fucking yesterday at four in the morning!?"

"Not my stingy wife."

"Get out!"

Cries wailed from the crib in the corner.

"Get out, Nazim!"

Without hesitation, he dressed himself and walked out, almost with an urgency that told he was glad to get away from me and the newborn screaming for attention.

Holding my baby bear close to my chest, I wrapped his blanket around him and apologized. "Mommy is so sorry for screaming, my little love. I am so sorry." And I sat up on the bed, patting his back as his whining became quieter and quieter.

Soft and sweet, I talked to him until sleep took him back.

Waiting for the phone to ring, I admired the little bundle of love snuggled up to me. Sometimes I would think I dreamt of those months in Minnesota. I started to doubt that any of it ever happened. But then I'd look at my son and find myself reassured. I didn't dream it. It was all real and it was all right here in front of me. Prince gave me this precious child. Our son was a footprint of all the love we made. 

END OF BOOK THREE