Chapter two:

A few weeks had passed, and it was approximately four days before the holidays ended and she started her new school. The worst thing was- she'd made zero friends. She hadn't even seen a glimpse of her neighbours, and she was just expected to 'gel' with people? All things considered, maybe she wasn't the best company- she was awkward, shy, and very picky on who she chooses to associate with. Maybe she wasn't the most approachable person, but was she even trying? So when her mother called her from the living room, Shaylee shot up off the front porch leaving her book forgotten. "Yes, ma?" She entered the house to be greeted by Rex, she bent down and ruffled his ears before he wandered off again. Her mother was sitting in an armchair, reading the newspaper. She set the paper down and turned towards her daughter. Shaylee's eyes drifted down, and saw in bold lettering a slightly concerning headline: 'Bodies found in Drake Bay, some drained of blood.'

"Do you mind going to pick a few things up from the store?" Oh. Shaylee's eyes snapped up and her smile faltered, "Oh ok, of course." Her mother gave her a thankful smile and handed her a stack of cash. "There's a little extra. You should buy yourself something nice." A little!?

"Mum... this is four-hundred-"

"Ok. Maybe not a 'little'." Her mother giggled, "But you've been cooped up all summer, go shopping- meet people."

Shaylee was speechless, "Erm- thanks, mum. Love you." She kissed her forehead, and walked back outside, closing the door behind her. She walked down the porch, stuffing the money in her short pockets. The headline of the newspaper stuck out in her mind, Bodies were found... Some were drained of blood. What would someone need blood for? Maybe someone drank it? She let out a singular laugh, and shook her head pushing the ridiculous vampire thoughts from her mind.

She inhaled deeply and crossed the lawn onto the footpath. Shaylee strolled down the footpath and up to her next-door neighbour's house. Crud. She forgot to ask her mother where the supermarket is. 'Meet people' her mother's words rang in her mind. So breathing in deeply, she nervously crossed her neighbour's lawn and walked up to their porch. Her hands skimmed the railing, as she thudded up the porch steps. Before she could raise her hand to knock, the door flung open. Standing in the doorway was a tall, lanky boy around her age. He had long, blonde, messy hair, pale blue eyes, and a smirk. "What can I do for you?" His accent sounded very British.

"Uhm- do you know where the t-the store is?"

His smirk grew, as he looked her up and down. "Your new right?" He asked, leaning against the doorframe. Shaylee nodded. "Right... Well, I know where it is. I can walk you-" he paused, "What did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't..." She mumbled, "But it's erm- Shaylee. Shaylee Davey." His eyes widened a bit, but only subtly. "Davey huh?" It sounded rhetorical. He closed the door gently behind him and walked off the porch. "You coming?" He chuckled, ushering her over. Oh right. Shaylee smiled sheepishly and trailed after him. Their feet fell into step, and Shaylee shifted awkwardly. "So- do you live there?" She asked as she glanced over at him. He was well dressed, wearing ripped jeans and a denim jacket. He chuckled again, "Uh- no. No, I don't. My friend does." He smiled, "It's kind of like a second home..." He trailed off.

They walked in silence for a moment, soaking the sun in and enjoying the sound of their feet falling against the path.

"How about you? What brings you to Esoteric?"

Shaylee took a moment to compose herself before answering, instead finding comfort in the vibrant, green twisted trees. "My father- he died... I guess we needed a change." She mumbled, her gaze fixated on her feet. One foot, two feet, one foot- she tried to focus on her walking, trying not to trip over or think about her father.