Chapter six:

Shaylee's breath was shaky, but she didn't even hesitate when Vlarissa suggested they look for him. They hurried out of the diner, like a pack of headless chooks which earned a lot of confused looks. But Shaylee couldn't care in the slightest, they had to find Cooper.

As they exited Peter's and into the chilly abyss of winter, Shaylee laced her arms through the varsity jacket and following after Vlarissa they made their way up the side of the diner, towards the back where the restrooms would be on the inside.

As they rounded the corner, they were met with an unlikely scene. The Shadower was pressed against the wall, with Cooper holding the scruff of his shirt. Cooper launched his fist back, and the sound of bone colliding with flesh sounded. Shaylee winced watching as the Shadower man's head smashed against brick, there was a glint in Cooper's eyes but she couldn't quite put her finger on the emotion behind them. "Who are you?" Snarled Ryder, as he was the first to reach them.

Cooper launched his hand back again, colliding with the man's jaw. As the rest of them halted by them, she got a better look of the man. His eyes were sunken, brown orbs, he had a greying beard and his hair was shaggy and past his ears. "Are you okay?" Vlarissa asked Cooper, her tone worried. He nodded in response, his gaze fixated intently on the man. Her eyes drifted to examine Cooper's knuckles which were perfectly fine, it was like it didn't hurt him at all.

"Who. Are. You?" Ryder repeated, snapping Shaylee out of her trance-like state. The man smiled evilly, his eyes flicked to Ryder. His evil smile turned lopsided, "Penterghast." The man stated shortly, his eyes flicking to everyone in the group, everyone but Cooper. Penterghast cackled upon seeing Melvin, "Ah, ghost boy." Penterghast said as if he knew him, Shaylee watched as Melvin shrunk back and her mouth suddenly went dry. "You know him?" Shaylee heard himself ask smally, the man's eyes flick to her and he looks her up and down, delight crossing his features. Subconsciously Shaylee pulled Cooper's jacket closer, trying her hardest to cover the exposed parts of her body. "Ah, the prophecy girl."

Cooper's eyes flick from Penterghast's expression, towards Shaylee's disgusted one, and he punches him again. "Don't you dare look at her." Cooper bellowed, making Shaylee shrink back behind Calador for comfort. Penterghast had a black eye now, but without looking at her, he answered. "I'm one of the reasons he's dead."

Silence settled upon the group for a moment, as his words sunk in. This man was one of the men who killed Melvin. "Y-you killed o-our brother?" Calvin's voice broke through the silence, his voice sounded a mix between a sob and whisper. Shaylee analysed his face, his eyes were glazed over, his lips parted subconsciously as he eyed his twin's killer. "C-Cooper m-move." Calvin whispered.

Cooper hurled around, his hand still holding onto the Shadower. "What?"

Calvin's nostrils flared, and green light began to form against the lining of his skin, threatening to spill over. His eyes turned the same grass green as what flowed around him, instead of eyes- were glowing, green light. In a split second, Calvin had moved his left hand and thrown Cooper off of the Shadower and into a pile of trash cans. He had used his green light to pull Penterghast towards him and held him tightly by the throat. Calvin lifted his singular hand, now possessing un-human strength, Penterghast was struggling under his grasp and attempted to turn into his wispy, shadow-self. But to no avail, he was too weak. "How dare you." Calvin snarled, and as Vlarissa attempted to reach out and stop him Ryder held her back.

Penterghast's legs were flailing now, and he began to scratch up Cavin's hand in an attempt to pry them off himself. "C-Calvin d-don't p-please." Melvin stuttered, "F-forgive h-him. I'm o-okay." Melvin's voice was small and vulnerable. Shaylee's eyes flickered over to him, to see him cowering behind his big brother Ryder. Her eyes found Calador for a moment, watching as he moved to help pull Cooper up from the pile of bins and trash bags. "FORGIVE HIM!?" Calvin yelled, hurling on his brother now. Green fire wisped around him, humming against his body as a constant reminder of the power he possessed.