Chapter fourteen:

Shaylee watches with intent as the servants bring out the food, and gently line the dishes in a row along the middle of the table. Ryder tenses beside her, noticing the icy stare sent in their direction from Provence. It wasn't a direct stare per say, more of a subtle corner of the eye glance. Charlise, noticing the awkward tension, cleared her throat abruptly. "So how did the two of you meet?" The orange juice Ryder was once sipping, was now being restrained in his mouth as he coughed rapidly.

"How do you mean sister?" Dayle piped up from down the table, gently placing slices of ham on his plate. Charlise shot him an odd look, and shrugged casually. "It's just a question." Her pure gold fork twisted between her slender fingers, as a smile fluttered her lips. "Just wondering about the," She paused, "Nature of their relationship." A few of her siblings exchanged knowing glances, trying to hide their smiles. Shaylee cleared her throat, "I believe we met at school, sometime."

Ryder glanced between the red haired girl, and the royal Fae seated around the table. "Looked lonely, so I decided to introduce myself." Ryder shrugged, spooning some vegetables onto his plate.Shaylee's expression looked like one of offence, "I wasn't lonely, quite content before you showed up."

Tristan giggled from down the table, his cheeks tinting the faintest bit of pink. "I can see this will turn out to be a twelve against one scenario." Ryder smiled half-heartedly and shovelled some steamed potatoes on his plate. The brunch remained eerily silent, with nobody knowing exactly how to approach each other. Titanus cleared his throat, making the eyes of everyone snap up. "So Shaylee," He paused, swallowing some wine then adjusting his slanted crown. "How long-" He waved his gold fork between Ryder and Shaylee. "Do the two of you plan on staying with us?" She glanced nervously at Ryder, unsure how to answer the pending question. "Well," Shaylee set her fork down, "Just as long as you'd like father, it's so kind of you all to let us stay here in the first place."

"We appreciate the kindness." Ryder adds.Provence set down her wine goblet, clearing her throat. "Well, you must have an estimated date." Her eyelashes batted, as she stared Shaylee down. "You must have lives to get back to."Ryder shrugged, "Nothing of importance, or urgency, your highness."Provence's smile stretched thin, and she lifted her goblet up to her lips, sipping some wine. "Provence is fine." And that was the last of the topic, for now.Kallistia was the next to speak, "So, Shaylee." She set down her spoon, "Have you figured out your ability yet?"This was the question she'd been dreading. Ryder glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, the expression in them seemed unchanged. But she knew what he was getting at, 'don't say a thing.' Nessa had already warned her in advance, that exposing yourself like that, by revealing your ability was a sure way to get yourself killed. Or worse, give them the chance to find your weakness. She shrugged nonchalantly, "I don't know, I've only just learnt about." She paused as if searching for the right words, "All of this."

"You should join us in training then," Colin interjected, expression as icy as ever. "We could help you figure out the," A pause, "Power you possess."

Shaylee shifted awkwardly in her chair, "Ryder could train m-""-We insist." Piped up Daemon.And as she looked into the hopeful eyes of each of her siblings, she realised there was no way she could weasel her way out of the situation. "Well if you guys insist..."Joshuane squealed lightly, hands clapping together. "Sibling bonding time! Whoop whoop!"She tried to match his enthusiasm, "Whoop whoop?" But the words came out flatter than expected.

Calador tapped on the door, a soft exhale flowing from his lips. Hurried footsteps are heard from the opposite side of the door, and then a mere moment later the door is swung open. Standing there is a tall, lanky man with tousled brunette hair, and evident purple eye bags. His white button up shirt was half un-done, with one of his pale brown suspenders hanging down by his knees. At the sight of Calador, the man's tired expression becomes more pleased. "Ah Cal! Come in, come in!" The man ushered, shutting the door behind them.