Chapter ten:

The feeling of fear overwhelmed her, consuming her like poison, and ebbing away at her mentality. This world would surely crush her and all that would be left was the insanity that would become her new normal. Shaylee sighed, plonking a few of her novels in her purple coloured suitcase. A burst of green light and Calvin was standing before her. He gave her a weak smile, and sat himself down on the floor by her bed.

"You don't have to go straight away." Calvin reassured, pulling at the ends of his hair. "You could wait a bit, until you're more capable with your powers." His voice trailed off, his eyes roaming around her room as she scrambled to gather all her belongings. "I cant. We don't have time Calv." His nickname rolled fluently off her tongue. Shaylee spun around on a three-sixty angle, eyes fluttering over her bedroom. "What else should I pack to stay with my evil stepmom?" Calvin shrugged, as Shaylee moved over to her bookcase again to double check if she had enough books.

"Do you have anything pure silver?" Calvin asked casually, head leaning against the edge of her bed. Shaylee grabbed the book The Art Of War off her shelf, and tossed it between her hands. "Why would I need pure silver?"

A flutter of a smile made its way back onto his small lips. "Pure Blooded Fae's are immortal, well mostly." He pauses, "There's only two sure ways to kill one. The first, draining them completely of blood. It takes a while, unless you're a vampire of course. It's slow, painful, but still gives them time to overpower you."

Calvin stands up, and as Shaylee blinks he's standing in front of her. He grabs the book out of her hands in one swift movement, and in the other had turned her so her back is facing him, winding her right arm behind her back with gentle but quick force. Shaylee gasped at the suddenness, a shiver running down her spine as Calvin lent into her ear. "The second, penetrating them with pure silver." He holds his balled up fist in a stabbing gesture, by Shaylee's neck. "They'll die almost instantly." Calvin let her go, arms crossed over his chest as Shaylee spun around to face him. "Never let your guard down. Don't trust anyone."

Calvin pauses, green eyes piercing into hers. "And the people that seem most trustworthy, are the most likely to betray you." As Shaylee consumed his words, a loud boom made her startle. Her eyes shifted outside, to see a thunderstorming in the distance heading their way. She put the Art Of War book in her carry on, figuring it may come in useful later.

Shaylee was downstairs, suitcases and bags piled by her feet. Listening intently to a heated conversation, Maya, Vlarissa and Antonioette were having in the living room. "Why does she have to go now?" Maya hissed through her teeth, black frames balancing lowly on her nose. "She still has school to attend!"

"Tom can take care of that." Vlarissa responded calmly, "She needs to do this Maya. For everyone."

Maya frowned, arms crossing over her chest. "And what if I object?"

"It's too late for that now." Antonioette interjected, "Besides you already agreed."

"I agreed to let her meet her father!" Maya defends, "Not to stay there for months on end, with little to no communication, and all for what? To spy!?"

"Yes." Antonioette hissed, "To spy. Her spying will save us all! Make us get ahead of Provence! So she doesn't slaughter us all."

Vlarissa looked between the death staring pair, and took a step forward. "If it's any reassurance, my brother Ryder will be with her. As a guardian. He is to protect her at all costs, give his life over her own."

He had to die for her!? How was he ok with doing this? Maya's frown deepened, "No, that does not reassure me! Sending your horny teenage brother with her? That does not reassure my feelings."

"He's five hundred and fifty five..." Vlarissa muttered under her breath.

Antonioette took a daring step forward, eyes menacing. "She's going. She's already by the door." Maya fled out of the kitchen, a smile plastered widely on her face. "Shay." She paused, as the other two women filed in after her. "Are you sure you want to go?" Antonioette seethed at Maya's words.

Shaylee nodded, "I have everyone depending on me."

Maya opened her mouth as if to protest, but Vlarissa cut her off. "Have you got everything?"

She nodded again, "Everything except pure silver."

Antonioette let out a soft chuckle, flicking her wrist in a circular motion letting the red light swarm around her hand. Out of nowhere a silver dagger, with a singular ruby gem embedded into the handle appeared out of thin air. "It was your grandmother Armani's." She explained walking towards her niece, "Just in case." Antonioette placed it into Shaylee's open hands, and folded her hands over it.

Maya huffed, "Yes. Supply my daughter with a weapon, this couldn't get any bet- '' In a flick of Antonioette's wrist, Maya's lips pressed together instantly. The only noise escaping her, being a surprised grumble from her throat.

So as Shaylee made her way down her porch, with Ryder beside her. She realised a few things. One, she was undeniably scared. She was essentially walking into flames, would they engulf her? Or would she be a phoenix rising from ashes? Two, she realised that not only did her friends depend on her... but the entirety of the underworld. Millions of beings relied on her, relied on her to get enough information, relied on her to live... would she be able to cope with the burden of their life's? And finally, she realised that Calador's laugh sounded mixed between a school girl giggle, and a donkey falling from a cliff.

"Please don't die!" Calador laughed, as if to hide his worry. "You guys are my only friends!" Vlarissa playfully shoved him, making him stumble. "Yes, yes, you too." He hissed, still waving cheerfully as the pair exited the porch.

The whole gang was there, standing on the porch and bidding them farewell. Even the Oni's were waving, it was subtle but Shaylee liked to think they cared an ounce. Even Ember was waving, but Shaylee concluded that it was only because Ryder was her best friend.

"Be safe! Love you!" Antonioette called, her bangles jangling loudly as she frantically waved.

A hum erupted loudly from Maya's throat, as if she were to say 'I love you' as well. Her mother's brows furrowed, gaze turning to Ant accusingly. But her aunt just ignored her, finding pleasure in the soundless Maya.

Shaylee slipped into the backseat, red hair sticking to her head as the rain pelted down. Ryder appeared in the driver's seat, purple flowing around him for a split second before fading. Now, as she sat here staring into the faces of her friends, and family her stomach dropped.

She'd miss Calador's stupid laugh, Vlarissa's warm sister-like affection, Cooper's protectiveness, Antonioette's random quirky personality, The twin's insightful discussions, she'd even miss Ember's cold, death stares.

As Ryder gave a singular wave, a weak smile on his lips, Shaylee watched Tom frantically fan his eyes. He'd claimed he'd had another mint gum, but Shaylee could tell he was crying. Ryder reversed back, and slowly made his way down the road. "WE LOVE YOU!" Cooper called loudly, as they drove down the almost abandoned street. "Stay safe!" A green tinted Melvin called.

Her head turned to face the back window, and as she watched the fading figures ebb into the distance a lump formed in her throat. The realisation had set in, she was leaving her comfortable life again, and stepping into yet another booming storm. "Next stop, Sirena, Costa Rica." Ryder sighed, hands tightly wound around the wall.

The storm raged loudly in the distance, a silent metaphor of her dysfunctional next few months.