Chapter seven:

The sun beamed down on her, ricocheting off of every surface and fanning out in dancing shards of light. "Do you know where we're going?" Shaylee half groaned half sighed, as Ryder led her into the lining of trees behind their houses. Ryder rolled his eyes, being a few long strides in front of her. "No. I don't know where we're going, I'm leading you into the woods to murder you."

"Wouldn't put it past you." She responded, as they entered the lush green woods.

Ryder huffed, "I don't know why I get stuck babysitting the Faeblood." He grumbles, stepping over a fallen branch.

The woods were coated in various shades of green, the landscape was painted with fallen debris, and little insects wandering about. The forest was filled mainly with big willow trees, the leaves coating the sky, making it hard to see anything above. With the leaves painting the woods in a blanket, making it hard to see anything more than three feet in front of her, Shaylee turned to Ryder for assistance.

"Ryder, it's dark."

Ryder rolled his eyes, "Yes. You're very observant."

Shaylee huffed, "Can't you conjure up some light? The willow's are making it hard for sunlight to peek through."

"You're too dependent on others." Ryder replied, ignoring her request. "You need to get better at that."

"At what?" Shaylee grumbled, slowly stepping over a fallen branch.

"Not relying on people."

But before Shaylee could retort, she squealed as she stumbled forward. Ryder caught her by the upper arm, and pulled her back up. "There's a slope there." Ryder stated, making Shaylee wiggled harshly from his grasp. "Thanks for the warning."

Ignoring her, Ryder puts his right hand in front of him, flicks his wrist in a circle motion and purple light forms in his palm. Her eyes filtered downwards, following the fluorescent purple light she saw a steep slope that bared ragged rocks and sloshy mud.

Ryder pushed the orb of light off his palm, making it bob in the air in front of him. He turned to her offering her his hand. "It's pretty steep," Ryder pauses, "And I'm not giving you a piggy-back ride." He adds quickly. With lots of hesitation, Shaylee took Ryder's hand tenderly. His hands were rough, from years of hard labour, but had a soft edge to them, possibly from applying hand cream. Ryder cupped her hand, and stepping out onto the slope, he gently led her down. There was a prominent shift in his mood, a shift that Shaylee found contrasting to his usual manner. He was gentler, more timid with her now, as he led her down the steep rocky slope. Ryder's grip on her hand tightened as they neared a bigger, more jagged rock. "Be careful. We don't want your Fae blood spilling." He lifted his hand, and tugged her slowly, gently around it.

"Why do you call me that?" Her eyes trained on the purple orb floating a foot or so in front of her.

Ryder hummed in response, as if needing more explanation. "Faeblood. Why do you call me that?"

Ryder pulled her down gently, making her almost trip. "Careful!" He hissed through his teeth, steadying her with his hand on her arm now. "Thanks." Shaylee breathed, watching as his hand slid back to hers again. After a moment's silence, they finally neared the end of the steep slope. Shaylee let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, Ryder was already off the slope and extended his hands out to her.

Shaylee extended her hand, thinking that he'd just take it and help navigate her down. However, he huffed, put his hands on her hips and lifted her high into the air. Shaylee let out a soft squeak, her hands gripping Ryder's shoulders tight, as he lifted her off the bottom of the slope and onto the ground beside him.