Chapter 6: The final battle

1521 AD, Tenochtitlan

"It's wrong," Artemis told Druig quietly as they sat on the bank of a river. They were waiting for Phastos to tell them where the last few deviants were.

"You know it too," she said urgently, taking his hand as though this would drive her point across. "We can't just leave them to carry on as they do now, they'll destroy themselves."

"I agree with you darling," Druig said quietly. "I've known ever since we weren't allowed to help at Pompeii - even if that wasn't their doing."

"But we must do something," Artemis said, a pleading tone in her voice.

"We will," Druig said soothingly, kissing her forehead. "Once the last deviants are destroyed, we will go off on our own, protecting the innocent -..." he said, thinking. "Both humans and the animals."

It was like he was admitting his feelings to her all over again, she swooned and kissed him hard on the lips.

"I love you," she said, her forehead resting against his.

"I love you too," he said earnestly. "My beautiful, beautiful Artemis."

"It's time," they hear Ajak say from the clearing on the other side of a line of trees. Artemis got up, dusting her clothes off, and allowing her cosmic bow to form in her hand.

"Be careful," Druig said urgently, kissing her once more.

"Always," she smiled, pecking him once more before she ran off after Thena and Gilgamesh, who were already sprinting through the trees to the village beyond.

Druig went to wait with the others.

"Do you think we'll go home after this is over?" Sprite asked Ajak as they waited.

"Maybe," Ajak said smiling. "We'll have to wait for the clear from Arishem."

Druig didn't listen anymore. He was straining his ears for any sign of danger. Loud crashes and bangs drifted to him from the direction of the village.

Soon, darkness fell and the others still hadn't returned. Druig still listened, the shouts and screams of people now tenfold. He could make out fires burning the village beyond.

"Can't we go help them?" He asked Ajak desperate to know whether Artemis was alright.

"This is not the doing of the deviants," Ajak told him. "We don't interfere."

Druig scowled, wanting to retort but remembering his place.

Just then, Thena appeared through the trees, her sword disappearing as she walked towards them. Makkari joined her with a rustle of leaves seconds before Artemis too came jogging, panting into the clearing.

Druig sighed in relief and rushed forward to meet her.

"Are you alright," he asked searching her face for any sign of pain or worry. He vaguely heard Ajak asking where the others were.

"I'm fine," she huffed. "Let me catch my breath."

He sighed, thankfully and pulled her into a bone-crushing hug.

"Thank heavens," he said as he pulled away. Then he dragged her over to where the others all stood.

Loud bangs and cracks filled the air, and looking to the side they saw people killing each other.

"Oh no," Artemis muttered, squeezing Druig's hand. He moved instinctively in front of her, and she knew he would try and stop their actions.

"Don't," said Ajak sternly from behind them. "We don't interfere in their wars."