Chapter 18: The aftermath

Artemis was crying. Everything that had happened since they came to the island had finally sunk in.
It was all over.

She didn't listen to what Sersei and Phastos were talking about. She wanted it all to end. She sat, kneeling on the beach for wat felt like an eternity. Thoughts of her and Druig swarming in her mind.

"Artemis," Phastos finally said, making her look up. Makkari was hugging Sersei. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes," she said, Phastos nodded and she looked down. "It's unbearable."

"Artemis," Sersei said. "What's going on..?"

Artemis didn't answer. She heard the metallic clicks of Phastos's inventions. This was it.

"Wait Phastos," Sersei said urgently. Phastos, who weren't fond of the idea of killing Artemis halted.

Artemis looked up furiously at Sersei, who kneeled in front of her.

"Don't do this," she said softly.

Artemis looked up, seeing that Sersei wasn't looking at her. She frowned and followed her gaze.

Even from a distance, she could tell that it was Druig walking towards them on the beach. Her breath hitched in her throat. She'd know his walk anywhere.

Makkari was jogging over to him already, giving him a hug. He smiled as he pulled away, looking over at the rest of them.

Artemis got up, staggering slightly before she too ran straight at Druig. He all but tackled her to the ground when they met, hugging her so tightly that she was sure she would be fused to him after this.

"You're alive," she sighed, breathless with admiration as he leaned back so as to see her properly. "You're alive."

"Quite the tone of suprise since I promised you, that you won't lose me again."

Artemis smiled through tears streaming down her face, before he moved in. Artemis had no memory of him ever kissing her like he did in that moment.

He pulled back slowly, resting his forehead against hers, gazing longingly at her lips.

"I'm okay," he told her, when she made to sit up. "Lets just stay here a little while longer."

Artemis smiled and kissed him again.

"Come on," she told him after a minute. "Lets get up."

"But I'm so comfortable here," he said, pulling her back down onto him. Defeated, she turned so that she could see what the others were doing.

"Whys Sprite with them?" She asked him, sitting up again, having noticed Sprite talking to Sersei.

"She was trying to distract Sersei near the volcano when I caught up with them," he told her, getting up despite having just said he wanted to stay there forever. "I knocked her out with a rock."

He pulled her up with him and together they walked over to the others. They went to stand beside Makkari, listening to what was happening.

"Sprite," Sersei was saying. "I still have energy from the uni-mind. I think I can make you human."

"All the things you said you wanted, you can have them. But your time will be fleeting, and you'll die one day. Are you ready for that?"

"I am," Sprite said, tearfully.

Sersei took Sprites hand and used the energy she had left to make her human. Artemis couldn't help tearing up as well, watching the exchange.

Despite all Sprite had done to her and Druig, she still felt as thiugh she was losing a member of her family.