~II~

Stephen walked into one of the training rooms, only to find it already occupied. It was the dark-haired young woman who had been with Mordo that first day here.

Seeing as the room was already being used, he turned to leave, only to be stopped by, "You can come in, there's plenty of room for two."

He didn't know how she knew he was there, as she had her back turned towards him, but he stepped inside. "Uh, thanks."

Now she turned to face him, smiling. "Would you like some tea? I just made some." She had a little table set up in the centre of the room with a tea set all laid out.

"Sure, thank you."

She gestured for him to sit on one side of the little table, patting the floor for emphasis, she sitting across from him, cross-legged as though she were meditating. She poured two small cups of tea, raising hers. "Cheers." Stephen touched his cup to hers before both took a drink. She downed hers in one gulp and then smiled at him while he sipped his. "You're a doctor, right?"

"Yeah, but 'Stephen' please. And I'm afraid I didn't catch your name."

"Ekaterina, Master of the Mystic Arts." She grinned and held out one of her heavily-ringed hands for him to shake. He hesitated, looking down at his own scarred, shaking hands. She gave him a nod of encouragement and so he reached up and gave her hand a gentle shake. "But you can call me 'Katerina' for short."

"It's not that much shorter."

"No, but it's still shorter."

"One letter."

"That's still shorter."

"Okay... Can I call you 'Kat'?"

"If you would like - Stephen." She began pouring herself another cup of tea. "I'm a doctor too, you know."

"Really? Of what?"

"Not a medical doctor - one of archaeology. I had a  fascination with magic and relics long before setting foot here. So, how are you adjusting to life here at Kamar-Taj?" She gestured around them.

"Uh, all right, I guess. How long did it take you to get used to all-" He waved his hand. "-This."

She gave a little shrug. "It's different for all who come here. I'm still learning, myself."

"Why are you here? I-if you don't mind me asking."

She smiled. "That's kind of you, Stephen, but you already know." She gestured to the thin scar lines on the outer corners of both eyes. "I was at a special dig site and got caught up in a blast.  I just remember feeling this burning, searing heat. I couldn't open my eyes - I thought I'd go crazy." She swirled her tea in the cup. "No doctors could help me."

"Did you try New York? That's where I work from - worked from. I could have helped you."

"I was turned away. You were all convinced I would never see again." He looked down guiltily. "Don't feel bad, I have no hard feelings towards you. It's what brought me here. And trust me, I was as uncertain as you are now. But coming here, seeing all this-" She waved a hand at their surroundings. "-Nothing really surprises me anymore. I mean, aliens falling from the sky. Gods in New York." She gave a shrug. "Magic at our fingertips." She grinned and gently waved her fingers, her rings shimmering in the light. "The Ancient One helped me, showed me there was still hope. I even began to believe that I might work again." She noticed he perked up a little at this. "And I've been here ever since."

He sighed. "I don't believe in fairytales about chakras or energy or the power of belief."

"Maybe not, but maybe you should try to open yourself up to it. You might just surprise yourself." She winked.

"So you're a Master?"

"Yes," she said, her voice garbled as she was taking a sip from her second cup of tea. Or was it her third? He'd lost track. 

"'Master'. Doesn't that kind of mean best, like you've learned everything?"

"We're always learning, Stephen. Even if we are the best at something."

He sat quietly for a moment, absorbing this. Then he cast a glance back down at his hands. "Your scars-"

She gave a knowing, understanding smile. "You overcome them, learn to accept them, then you wear them proudly." She gulped back yet another cup of tea.  "Well, I have a training session to go oversee, so I must leave you. You think about what I said and enjoy some tea." With one last smile she headed out of the room.

Stephen lifted the teapot - the very light, empty teapot.  "I think you drank it all."

(Haha! ;) This is a slightly updated version of this scene from my 'Before Infinity' companion stories! So if this sounds familiar, you'll know why ;) 

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed - more to come soon! :))