~XIV~

"You know him?" asked Catalina as Mordo strode out of the grand Sanctum doors towards them.

"Yeah, Mordo. He was actually the first guy who let me into Kamar-Taj," Stephen told the sisters. 

"Oh, great!" America grinned. 

"Yeah, and then he snapped and dedicated his life to trying to kill me and all other sorcerers."

"Oh, great..."

"I always suspected this day would come," Mordo spoke, now standing before them.

"You did?"

"Yes, because you always suspected this day would come. My brother-" He surprised them all  when a wide smile stretched across his face and he wrapped Stephen up in a hug which Stephen awkwardly returned. 

"Come in and tell me everything about your universe."

Stephen moved to follow him inside. "Go on red."

Mordo guided them inside where they sat in one of the inner chambers around a roaring fireplace, cups of tea in hand.

"Good tea, Mordo."

"Only the best tea for you, Ekaterina."

"Almost too good..." She took another deep sip. 

"You are quite formidable too, it seems: a Multiversal Traveler and her Infinity Stone Variant sister," Mordo told the sisters. "Well thank the stars you brought Doctor Strange to safety."

"Well just cause we jumped ship doesn't mean we're safe," said Catalina.

"Yeah, our Wanda has the ability to conjure up demons and monsters to attack America in other universes," Stephen explained. 

"So she has the Darkhold?"

"You know of the Darkhold?"

"Oh yes, we have our own in this universe too. I guard it here in this sanctum. We would never risk a weapon that dangerous falling into the wrong hands."

"Damn right."

"If your Darkhold is anything like ours, I'm afraid she can do far worse to summon monsters and demons to come after you here."

"Oh yes," muttered Kat.

"What do  you mean?" asked America warily.

"There is a spell contained within those pages, corrosive to the soul. A desecration of reality itself: Dreamwalking. A Dreamwalking sorcerer projects their own consciousness from their universe to another, possessing the body of an alternate self. They may puppeteer this unholy doppelganger and pursue their enemies from afar. The possession is not a permanent link between realities, but in the fleeting time they Dreamwalk they can do irreparable damage to the universe they invade. So it may not be a demon or a monster that you face, it may be the Scarlet Witch herself."

"But why didn't she do that to begin with?"

"Because that was her being reasonable," sighed Stephen. "What do you know of the Book of Vishanti?" he asked this world's Mordo. 

"The Darkhold's antithesis? It can give a sorcerer whatever power they need to vanquish their enemies."

"I need your help to-" Stephen was suddenly cut off as he swerved. 

"I'm sorry," Mordo told them.  "But I hope you of all people understand that it's not Wanda Maximoff who threatens our reality - it's you."

"What was in that tea?"

"I'm only acting as you would."

"She's coming..."

-------------------------------------

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

That was all Stephen could hear - besides his own heavy groans.

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Turned out, the source of the noise was from America banging on the glass - glass that enclosed them in their own separate cells he found as he regained consciousness. 

"Let us out! Ugh, this universe sucks!"

"Where's Kat?" They were missing the fourth member of their group. 

"Don't know - she wasn't here with us when we woke up."

----------------------------------------

"We can handle your little witch," said Captain Marvel.

"No, I don't think you can. I'm sorry, but I don't. You haven't seen what she can do, what she's been doing, what she's capable of-"

"Well we already handled your friend."

"No, I'm not working with Wanda-"

"No, not Wanda Maximoff, Master Ekaterina."

"What?"

"You've been working alongside the Scarlet Witch this whole time, the original Scarlet Witch."

Richards waved his hand and pulled up another paper-thin screen. In the summoned image there was another glass cell, cage, whatever you wanted to call it, like he, America and Catalina had been locked in. Inside was Kat, on her knees, her ankles, wrists, arms, legs and neck all bound by heavy shackles. She struggled against them, but they held strong.

"What the hell did you do?" Stephen cried.

"We've placed your Master Ekaterina under observation," explained Captain Carter.

"She's not an experiment! You're hurting her!"

"If she's as powerful as our own Ekaterina, she's fine."

Stephen looked away from the image of his locked up girlfriend. "B-but, I don't understand - she's a Master of the Mystic Arts..."

"Perhaps now. After our Stephen died, our Ekaterina succumbed to her grief, turning back to the Darkhold.  She vanished, and roams somewhere, fully powered, we weren't able to stop her. This Variant has the same potential, just as you have the same potential as our Stephen," explained Richards. 

"We unleashed an unspeakably powerful source, and we won't do it again," said Mordo.

"Fine, keep me here. Keep me prisoner but release them: Kat, America and Catalina. Wanda is coming and she'll kill us all to get to America!"

"None of you are going anywhere-"

There was a rumble from somewhere within the chamber, forceful enough however, that they felt its force even here. They were already too late.

Stephen ground his teeth. "She's here."

(Shoutout to all the awesome (or should I say Marvelous? ;)) Illuminati cameos! Hayley was my favourite, but I also love Charles, and I was so excited to see John Krasinski in the role of Reed Richards! I really hope they cast Emily to be Sue! Which one were you most excited for? 

And now the movie's out on Disney+ so I can write write write! ;)

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))