Chapter Three

ARIEL

It was a Saturday night. With my dad and my brother gone for the night, it was just my mother and I at home. We were having mother-daughter bonding time. I was fifteen.

We were downstairs in the living room together. I was reading a book for my English class, and my mom was watching her favorite TV show, Grey's Anatomy when the doorbell rang. I watched as she went to answer the door.

When she opened the door, I saw a tall thirty-something-year-old man standing there. I noticed the way my mom was looking at him, with shock evident in her widened eyes and tense posture. She glanced over to me sitting on the couch and said, "Ariel, go upstairs." Her voice was urgent, tinged with a hint of fear.

I looked at her, confusion evident in my furrowed brow. "Ariel, now," she repeated, her tone firmer this time. I quickly got off the couch and hurried upstairs. In my bedroom, I hopped onto my bed, but I couldn't focus on my book. My mind raced with questions about who the man was and why my mom was so afraid.

One...Two...Three...

Four...Five...

Six.

Six seconds went by before I heard my mom scream and the front door slam shut, making me jump, whipping my head up from my book. "Mom!" I yelled, my heart pounding in my chest, fear gripping me like a vice. I bolted out of my room and ran into the hallway, swinging my door open. "Mom!" I yelled again as I stopped at the top of the stairs.

She whipped her head up at me, her expression tense with fear. "What's going on?!" I asked, my voice trembling with fear. A loud bang came from the front door, causing us both to jump back. I frantically looked back at my mom, my heart racing with dread.

"Nicole! Open the door!" The man's voice boomed from behind the door, his tone demanding and aggressive. "Nicole!"

"Mom, who's that?" I asked, my voice shaky with fear, my whole body trembling with adrenaline. "Mom, who is that?" I asked again as I watched her run up the stairs. She grabbed me by the shoulders, her grip firm but gentle, trying to steady me.

"Ariel, everything's gonna be okay," she tried to reassure me, but her voice wavered with fear. "But we need to go hide," she added, her tone urgent. I looked at her, confusion and fear swirling in my mind.

Was someone really trying to break in?

She grabbed my hand and pulled me into her bedroom, her movements quick and determined. I turned around and watched as she locked the door behind us, her hands shaking slightly.

"Mom, please tell me what's going on! I'm freaking out!" I pleaded, tears streaming down my face, my whole body trembling with fear and confusion. She looked at me for a moment, her eyes filled with tears, her hands pressed against the door, trying to keep it closed."Who was the guy at the door?" I screamed, my voice raw with emotion, my chest tight with fear.

"He's-"

My eyes shot open, hearing my phone ring, snapping me back into reality. I quickly kneeled down and pulled my phone out of my bag beside me, then clicked the home button.

JULIA: Ariel, it's Julia. I heard what happened this morning. Are you okay?

ARIEL: I'm fine. Are you free to hang out for a bit?

JULIA: Of course, I am! Come on over! We'll go to the mall!

I smiled down at my phone and replied with a cute smiley emoji, then shoved my phone into my back pocket as I stood up. I grabbed my messenger bag from the back of my chair at my desk and headed out. I hopped downstairs and found Adam walking toward the staircase.

"Hey, I'm gonna go hang out with Julia for a little while," I told him as I nodded, gesturing toward the front door with my arms crossed in front of my chest.

"Are you okay?" He asked, concern evident in his voice and expression. "I'm sorry that I mentioned visiting mom earlier," he apologized, his voice filled with regret. "I know how sensitive you get talking about her."

"I'm fine," I assured him, forcing a small smile. "I just need to get out of the house for a little bit."

"Okay," he replied, shrugging slightly. "But just make sure you're home before dad gets home at 8:30," he reminded me, his tone gentle but firm.

"I know," I said, nodding in understanding. "See you later." With that, I was out the door to Julia's.