One

"And then, he told me I was being 'A bit much.'!" River cried out, lounging up side down on my bed, "Can you believe that? Can you fucking believe that?!"

I winced at her volume.

"A bit much? Like, what the fuck is that supposed to mean? I'll rip his face off! I'll rip it right off!" She growled out.

My eyes widened at the strange sound coming from my best friend's chest. All these years later and I still hadn't quite gotten used to her growls and snarls.

But, my precious River has always been this way. Loud, bold, vicious, and wild. She was everything daring, and it truly made her shine. River never questioned herself or her abilities. It was one of the many things I admired about her.

We were so incredibly different, yet had been best friends for over 12 years.

For example, in first grade, I can clearly remember screaming when I discovered a snake in the playground sandbox. Immediately, I began crying and made a beeline for the Teachers. River on the other hand, grabbed the snake by its head and began to pretend that it was a phone.

I can still remember her voice, 'Hello? Huh? No, this is River!' She held the creature against her plump little cheek, like it were a telephone.

That's the exact moment I realized she was insane.

And these beautiful differences between us only grew more and more as we grew up. At pool parties, I'd lay down and focus on my tan. River would kick as many of the boys into the pool as she could.

In highschool, I remember just sitting there and crying as Beth Tayels laughed and called me a whore in front of the whole lunch room. River pulled her ponytail and punched her in the face. Twice.

Honestly, I could go on and on about how different we were. But I can't imagine my life without my brazen best friend. She really inspired me to be.... just, more. More everything.

"A bit much, my asshole! I'll show him what 'A bit much' really is! She exclaimed, suddenly sitting up.

"Riv, just give him some time to calm down, he'll come around. You two are literally a match made in heaven. It's almost freaky how perfect you are for each other." I told her.

Her angry expression immediately softened, "I know, right? God, he's so hot. A fucking idiot, but... But like a hot one, ya know?" She sighed.

I smiled at her and laughed. "You and Jonah just need to get married and run away to castle together already. What has it been, four years?"

She hummed and flopped back on my bed. "Four years and many, many, more. And if we run away to a castle, you're coming too!"

              I giggled at her comment and went back to playing on my phone. Suddenly, River leapt from the bed and landed on top of me and the beanbag I laid on.

              I groaned as she laughed. "Speaking of running away, Montana?" She asked with a hopeful look in her eye.

               My eyes widened, "You were serious about the whole Montana thing?"

               She slapped my butt, yearning a loud yelp from me. "Of course I was serious! Come on, Tabs. Live a little!" She egged me on. "Please! Please, it'll be so much fun!"

               I shrugged, "I don't know, Riv. It's our first year of college. Is now really the time for a... a random trip across the country? I-I mean how much do we know about Jonah's cousins anyways?"