Three

The next morning, I wake to a familiar feeling. A crushing weight on top of me. I groan into my pillow knowing exactly who it is.

       "Get off." I whine.

        "Your bed is not comfy at all. Mines way better. You should come feel it, Tabs." River causally comments as she scrolls through her phone, legs laying across my back.

          "You're crushing me." I respond.

           "I'm bored!" She wines back at me. "Let's go to the Lake!" River said, rolling off of me.

            I sit up on my elbows, "Lake?"

           She nods, fixing her long black braid. "Yeah, remember? Jonah said there's a Lake right behind the house. It's good for swimming and stuff!"

           That got me out of bed.

            River ran down the stairs to make pancakes, while I opened my laptop to do a few assignments. After finishing up and checking that off my list, I threw on a black bikini, a tee shirt, sandals, and went downstairs.

            "Hurry up and eat! I want to go before those freaky dark clouds come back." She grumbled peeking through the kitchen window.

             I gratefully ate what my busy friend had made as she went to get dressed. After washing the dishes, grabbing two towels and packing a small bag for us, I was ready to go. At the same time, my best friend came flying back down the stairs as well.

We headed out the door and down the clear path in the backyard. Just as Jonah had claimed, there was a small lake in the distance. River squealed in excitement and ran the rest of the way.

I watched her go and a smile grew on my lips. It never failed to amaze me of how freakishly fast she was. Back in High School, I had begged my best friend to run track. I was convinced she'd get endless scholarships.

She'd always just laugh at that.

"Hurry the hell up, woman!" She yelled, now ankle deep in the water.

I rolled my eyes and took my time in setting up our chairs and towels. Eventually, I joined her in the water and we swam for what felt like hours. One minute I'd be floating on my back, and the next a hand would wrap around my ankle, causing me to scream.

              Which River thought was hilarious.

              And when the clouds began to roll in and cover up the warm sun and sky, I had to literally drag her out of the water.

"Such a child." I mumbled, arm locked around her wrist.

"It's not even that cold!" She retorted.

"Your lips are blue, Riv! I lost feeling in my toes 30 minutes ago! Its starting to get cold, don't be dumb!" I scolded her.

               She then went silent, looking away from my gaze as we left the water. I walked over to our chairs and grabbed my towel to start drying off. River just kind of stood off to the side, gazing at the woods as I did so. I frowned at her rare silence and handed her a towel.

              After I dried my body and hair, I threw my Tee shirt back on. Why was she being so quiet? Did she really want to keep swimming that bad?

I glanced to my friend, "Riv, I wasn't trying to be mean. I just don't want you sick on our trip." I explained. "You've been so excited, it'd suck if you got sick."