Four

Muffled voices made me start stirring from my deep sleep on the couch. I dismissed the voices as probably just being River and Jonah, and tried to find sleep again. I didn't want to wake up yet.

Whoever ruined my nap shall pay.

          After swimming and fussing over a whining River, I was pretty pooped. We both fell asleep hard after our movie and snacks. But now, I could feel her absence beside me and hear a hushed conversation in the kitchen.

          I was so sleepy, the sentences sloppily slurred through my hazy mind.

           I heard a sigh, "...ok. Ok. Just...No, she doesn't know anything. Come on man, we can't just send her home alo-..." A male voice said. Was that Jonah? Was he on the phone? "...she won't...inside...rogues in the territory...."

His sentences slowly prodded me awake.

             I began to stir, slowly waking up a bit more. I barely even noticed that the voices had stopped as soon as I started to move around. I vaguely recall hearing some hushed arguing, which encouraged me to actually wake up. Finally, I forced myself to get up.

I peeked open my still-sleepy eyes, and sat up. I immediately saw River and Jonah over in the kitchen.

"Riv?"

Her gaze met my own, "Hey! You were out cold." She grinned, coming to sit by me.

I yawned and waved to Jonah, who looked pretty grumpy. "I really was... How are you feeling now? How's your head?" I asked her.

That got Jonah's attention.

"What? What happened?" He sat down on the couch, "You hit your head?" He asked.

River waved her hand, "No, no. It was a headache, is all...." She hesitated, "That's why we came inside so fast."

Jonah stared at her for a second before slowly nodding, "Oh...."

"Was someone here? I thought I heard talking." I rubbed my eyes.

"Ah. Yeah, just a phone call." Jonah said.

I was about to question him further, but River cut me off quickly.

             "What should we do today? I vote for baking cookies and more movies!" She said excitedly.

              "Really? We both fell asleep during the first movie we watched!" I laughed. "Hey, let's go on one of those cool walking trails you mentioned Jonah! I feel like I've been sleeping all afternoon."

               Jonah eyebrows rose and when I stood, River darted up as well, "No! No walking trails. I want cookies." She demanded.

              I stared at her like she was crazy. "Fine, your majesty." I mumbled before walking to the kitchen, "But you're helping me make them!"

              She gave me a salute from the couch, leaned down to kiss Jonah, and then skipped to where I stood in the kitchen. Then, began the chaos of us working in the kitchen at the same time.

             Despite having the instant cookie dough that only takes 15 minutes, River desperately insisted on making the cookies ourselves and from scratch. I wanted to strangle her more than usual.

              I let a loud and dramatic groan leave my mouth, "Why? We could be done in less than twenty minutes this way! Then we'll have time to go outside and explore!" I said to my friend.