Nine

Just like last time, my inner pep talk only lasted so long. As soon as we came to the driveway, my confidence began to slip away. God, why was I so nervous?

          Max squeezed my hand, "You'll be alright." He smiled at me sweetly, "Your ever-so-strong mate is here to protect you." He said playfully.

I smiled at his silliness. But his words distracted me for a moment. Mate. Max had referred to River as Jonah's mate. And he's called himself my mate several times. Does he mean mate as in... friend? Like mate, pal, buddy?

Kind of weird.

He continued to distract me as we began to walk up the very long driveway. "Hey, how's your leg? That medicine is going to be wearing off soon. You probably shouldn't even be walking on it now..."

I looked down and shrugged. "It hurts but I think I'm okay-"

"It hurts? It's hurting you?" Max came in front of me, stopping my steps.

I shrugged again, "Well yeah, it's a freaking wolf bite." I said with a sarcastic chuckle. "But it's not horrible pain, I'm alr-"

"Ah, fuck." He fisted his hair, "Fuck, we should go back to my place. We'll just come over in the morning-"

"Max, we're like twenty feet from their door." I complained. "A-And I need to see them, I can't keep avoiding it. I'm sure Rivers worried sick. And pissed."

Oh God. I hadn't thought of how pissed River would be at me. Maybe she will see that I'm injured and go easy on me. I winced at the thought.

"Should I carry you? Is that too much? Shit, are you limping? Fuck, let's-" He rambled.

"No, no. You don't need to pick me up-"

Max quickly cut me off, "No, I think I do need to pick you up."

His hands went around my back and legs as he started to lift me. But I moved out of his warm, tingly grip before my feet could leave the ground.

"Max, stop it! I'm fine! Let's get to the door-"

"I'm such a bad mate. Fuck. Okay, here I'll-"

          I swatted his hands away as he tried to lift me again, "Stop, stop! You're not a bad friend, I just-"

          "Friend?!" He spat, letting me go suddenly and I fell to the gravel covered ground.

           "Shit!"

           "Ow!"

           "Tabitha?!"

            River's voice cried out. Max and I stopped our bickering and both looked at the front door of the cottage. There stood a puffy eyed River, staring right back at us.

            Max silently helped me stand.

"Hi.. River." I said hesitantly.

She looked... the same. As Max had wisely worded it, she looked like my River.

When I had realized what she and Jonah were, fear, confusion, and shock consumed me. And the terrifying Rogue encounter only made it even more frightening. Honestly, I was still scared and shaken by the whole situation.

Maybe not scared.. Anymore, at least. But confused. Definitely still confused.

            Okay, and a little scared as well.