Chapter 1

August 15, 2005 - League of Shadows

Marinette POV-

I stared at the hatch opening.

I had been taken from another family. Bridgette, my sister, I already missed her dearly.

I was about to meet my third family. The Al-Ghuls. I don't know how much of a family they will be to me though. Assassins aren't really known for being warm and fuzzy. The hatch opened all the way, clanking on the stone walkway. I walked down the ramp, following the group of assassins that had been clustered in front of me. They knelt to the ground in front of a beautiful woman. She had golden-brown hair and emerald green eyes.

I was pushed to the ground in front of her.

"You kneel in the presence of the Al-Ghuls." I shiver from how close the man's face is to my neck. Was that gorgeous woman an Al-Ghul?

She lazily made her way over to where I was kneeling. Heels slowly clicking on stones. Polished leather lifted my chin until I was looking the woman in her gorgeous green eyes.

"Come, child."

I slowly stand as she walks away, not once looking back to see if I followed. She has a lot of confidence in her authority.

I follow her, trying to stay as quiet as possible. It feels wrong to make any noise here. Like I'm breaking some sacred rule that this place be kept quiet.

We cross the landing pad and I come face to face with a boy who looks to be my age. He is tan, with jet black hair and forrest green eyes. The most gorgeous pair of eyes I had ever looked into.

I think I might have a new favorite color...

I am broken out of my trance when the beautiful woman speaks again.

"This is Damien Al-Ghul. He is to be your betrothed." Our eyes widen at the same time. He scowls up at his... mother? I think?

"Mother-" I was right "-what is the meaning of this?" He stands emotionless staring at his mother, who just stares back and smirks.

"We finally found the Miraculi. And the Guardians were weak, willing to give us their heir in exchange for safety." Damien just nodded and looked back at me.

"When is the betrothal ceremony mother?" He asks in a flat voice, I almost shiver. How does he do that?

She looks at me for a long moment.

"One week from today." I swallow hard. One week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week later

The week had gone by extremely fast. I had been taught the League's customs and what I was to do here. What my place was. I was to be the last line of defense for Damien. The final protector, his partner. I was to put my life on the line for his survival without question. I was to bow every time I was in the same room as him. Face to the ground, swords out.

I am on my way to the throne chambers, where Damien and I are to become Betrothed. Not married, but promise that we will get married. I heard that there was some sort of ceremony with Lazarus Pit water. Supposedly making the bond indestructible.  To say I was nervous would be a gross understatement.

I entered the throne room, walking to the three Al-Ghuls and bowing down, touching the tips of my katanas to the floor.

"Rise my child." Ra's voice carried through the room. Even just that simple sentence was enough to incite fear into my very bones. He was a scary man.

I stood, and Damien took his place next to me. Thalia brought my wrist forward first, carving an intricate mark into the top of my wrist. I bit my lip to keep from crying out. She collects the blood in a cup partially filled with what looks and smells like Lazarus water. She set it to the side and brings Damien's opposite wrist forward, mirroring the design she had done on mine. He doesn't even flinch. She, again collects his blood into a cup of Pit water, and stirs both of them, handing Damien's to me and mine to Damien.

"Now, children, pour the water over your wounds." I lift the cup and do as I am told, watching as how the blood mixes with rapidly healing scar tissue, dying the mark blood red forever. Once I am completely out of water I set the cup down and stare at my mark. It feels like forever until Thalia starts speaking again.

"Now you are a part of each other, and this physical reminder will serve to you as a reminder that you belong to the League, that will never change. Your purpose is to serve." She glanced at me at that last part. I resist the urge to recoil from her gaze. Something about her is unnatural. I don't like it.

Damien and I join hands and walk out of the room, going to our new quarters. We enter the small room, two plain beds pushed against opposite walls. Two small closets with dark clothes hanging. The walls were gray, the blankets were gray, the floor was gray. The only thing breaking up the monotony was the wrought-iron bed frames. All-in-all, the room was depressing. Lifeless.

I sit on my bed, wondering what my life was going to be now. I can't help but notice a lack of creaking as I shift my weight on the mattress.

"I am sorry." This was the first time his voice had been directed at me. It surprised me. Gone was the flat, emotionless Damien. This version of the boy sounded so tired, like he just didn't know what to do with himself anymore. It made me want to take care of him.

"It's ok." I whispered. It still felt wrong to be loud here. I don't know if that will ever change. He looked at me, his forrest green eyes were filled with anger.

"No. It's not. This is not right." He closed his eyes and rested his head on the wall. He sure carried a lot of emotion for a 6-year-old. But I suppose I did too. We had both been forced to grow up extremely quickly.

"I'm sure we can work it out. But for now we both have training so we got to go." I got up and made my way to the closet, grabbing some clothes and going to the bathroom. I stripped off the ceremonial robes and put on assassin clothing. It was surprisingly comfortable. Light, easy to move in. The shoes were amazing, soft and sturdy. They were made of soft leather, so they made almost no sound as I walked out of the bathroom, clothes in hand, to meet Damien - who had also changed. The cold mask was back in place; he was standing tall, with eyes sharp enough to cut stones and kill men.

"Follow me, I'll show you the training room." That was all he said before he turned on his heel and walked out of our room. I followed quickly and quietly.

I guess my new life has finally begun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1166

Edited 7/26/23