Chapter 12

August 29, 2017 - Wayne Manor

Jason POV - 

The last thing I remembered was the Pit Madness start to creep in, then darkness.

If I went Mad why does my whole body hurt?

And why was I laying down?

I groan as I sit up and open my eyes.

To see the whole family staring at me.

What in the world?

"What are you guys staring at?" I ask as I try to rack my brain for any clue as to what happened after the Fog settled. Usually I remembered my episodes. 

"How do you feel?" A soft voice spoke and I look to see an exhausted Marinette laying on a stone-faced Damien. It was at that moment I noticed the weight that was gone from my mind. The ever-present anger at everything around me, the lust for blood, for life. All gone.

"I feel amazing." My voice is a hoarse whisper, but somehow it carries through the entire room. Marinette's smile beams as I relax - finally free of the ever-present weight I had been carrying since I had emerged from the Pit.

"Did you do this?" I look at her, my eyes boring into hers as she nodded, the smile softening a bit but nonetheless continuing to be the brightest thing in the room.

"Thank you." I close my eyes and lean back into the chair when something inside clicks.

Blueberry.

My eyes snap open and I sit up.

"Blueberry?!" My family gives me surprised and worried looks. I probably looked like I had some sort of brain damage. But I didn't care. I needed an answer.

"Jay-Jay." The nickname she had given me when we were younger.

This little parisian is my baby sister. My little blueberry.

She launches herself at me, much to the chagrin of Damien and the surprise of my family. I catch her and start running my fingers through her midnight locks. She had finally returned to me.

I turn to my family, my little sister still in my arms and do my best to explain.

"So you know that little sister I told you I had? I always called her blueberry. She called me Jay-Jay. When she was 2, she was taken away. That was around when my family went to crap and I decided I would be better off taking care of myself. Not long after I started getting my own food and clothes did my parents get into their... accident, but we have been separated for 15 years now. I thought she died." My voice cracked slightly and I trained off at the end of my sentence. 

This was a rare form for me. I never volunteered information about my past, my personal life. Why someone or something was important to me. Marinette seemed to soften out our rough edges. Blend us into a better family. She had only been here for a few hours and already we had changed for the better. I smile down at the little girl in my arms and look at my speechless family.

This little girl was our changing point. And we were only going to change for the better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 29, 2017 - Wayne Manor

Later that day...

Marinette POV - 

Dinner was what I would call a success. I met my betrothed's family, and I saved one of them from the Pit Fog that seemed to cling to all of its unfortunate victims.  That victim also happened to be my long-lost brother.

 I had talked with the "BatFam", as Dick so nicely named their group, over dinner and dessert. Giving them the bare-bones explanation of how I knew Damien and why we were betrothed, and telling Jason what I had been doing in the years that he hadn't seen me.. We shared funny stories of being heros, and talked about how I would have to start training with them when I moved to Gotham for good. I smiled and nodded at them,. I was loving this new family.

Chloe looked around the table in shock. She had never had brothers, and her sister had been around so little that she had really been a "sister" and more a friend, or acquaintance. I could tell she was finding the new dynamic a bit much to deal with, so she went home after dinner; claiming a headache and jet lag. I walked her to the door and she pulled me into a hug, claiming that if there was any "funny business" she was going to "skin the Wayne Brat alive". I laughed and pulled her into another hug, telling her that I would be back in time for lunch. She really was the embodiment of a "mom friend". It was hilarious and, at times, so very strange.

After that Damien took me to his room, ignoring the catcalls and several shouts of "use protection!" But now, in the confines of his room as I layed on his chest and he ran fingers through my hair, we found peace in each others' company. 

A peace I hadn't felt in years.

I flipped around so I was laying on my stomach, staring into his forest green eyes. The swirling colors entranced me, I was reached out to brush my fingers under his eyes and over his cheekbone, making his breath hitch at the light contact. Damien's hand circled around my waist and his thumb started to trace circles into my lower back. His eyes showed kindness, joy. His eyes showed that he was at peace. His eyes showed his love.

Green was definitely my favorite color.

"'ana 'uhibuk" (I love you)

It was three simple words but I poured my emotions into every syllable. I stared into deep pools of forest and jade, memorizing everything about my wonderful partner. Damien's hand tigtened around my waist and he stared intensely at me, his eyes becoming glassy. He brought his hand to the side of my face as he spoke.

"'ana 'uhibuk kathira. 'ana mahzuz liwujudik maei huna" (I love you so much. I am so lucky to have you with me.)

I smiled at my beloved as tears pricked at my eyes. 

How can someone be so perfect, so wonderful. How can someone like him be mine?

"Jamilati. Habibti. I promise to love you until my dying breath. You are my perfect match. My other half. I will not let you go so easily this time. We'll be together until the end." Damien ended his heartfelt speech as a tear slipped out of my eye. He wiped the tear away with his thumb and I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. I turned my head to place a feather-light kiss on his palm.

This here. 

This was a perfect moment.

We went back to our blissful silence, enjoying being in each other's presence. Damien began softly tracing designs onto my back, and my eyes began to close. I slowly allowed myself to fade away and sink into the warmth that was my Habibi. As I continued sinking, there was one thought on my mind.

I had my best friend back. All was right in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1153

edited 7/26/23