Chapter 1: Peace Never Lasts

Skye laid there on the gurney, her chest heaving as she breathed heavily. "The baby's coming!" She screamed, trying her best to calm and control her frantic breathing.

"Yes I know Skye, you have to push with everything you've got." Vulpes said calmly. "Deep breaths, then push." He instructed, examining in between her legs in the process.

Skye nodded her head, with tears brimming in her eyes as she took deep breaths, then pushed as hard as she could with a very loud scream of agony.

"That's it Skye! You're doing great!" Vulpes assured, seeing the results of Skye's pushing.

"Where is John?!" The avian cried, gripping the sheets of the gurney to control her pain.

"I called for him, he should be here soon. But right now you have to focus on your pushing, okay?" Vulpes said calmly, "now one more big push Skye, you're almost there."

Skye quickly nodded her head again, preparing for the final push, but suddenly the door to Vulpes's med bay swung open and John rushed in with a panicked look on his face.

"I came as quick as I could!" John said with a rushed voice upon noticing Skye on the bed, sprinting over to her side and taking her hand.

"T-Took you long enough, asshole." Skye replied shakily, gripping the man's hand extremely tightly.

John cared not for the pain in his hand from Skye's squeezing, he would let her break his hand if it helped her through this. "I'm sorry... but let's get this baby out of you, I'm here now."

"Yes. One more big push, Skye. You can do this." Vulpes assured.

"Fuck yes I CAAAAAAN!" Skye screamed, feeling nothing but agony as she pushed as hard as she could with all of her strength until finally... the baby popped out. A white, oval, spherical shell.

John was confused by what he saw. "Uh... an egg? I wasn't expecting that." He said quietly as Skye's chest heaved.

The avian felt instant relief from the egg no longer being inside of her, and watched as Vulpes picked up the large ball to bring it over to an avian incubator.

"Hm, you impregnated an avian but you didn't know they layed eggs? Amusing." The fox doctor chuckled, closing the incubator then turned back to them. "Congratulations Skye, now we only have to wait a few weeks until it hatches." He said with a smile.

"Yay... more waiting." Skye panted sarcastically, managing to laugh a little. "Mind if I... take a nap here?" She asked, and passed out seconds later due to her exhaustion.

John was worried, but he knew that Skye was just tired after giving birth. "Will she be okay?" The man asked, still holding her limp hand and stroking her feathers gently.

"Yes, she'll be fine. That went better than I expected." Vulpes said with a small smile, gently patting John on the shoulder. "I must go see Francis, so I'll leave you alone with her. She has given birth to a very healthy egg, John. Congratulations." And with that, the fox doctor left his office, leaving John alone with Skye and their egg.

He slowly stood up after kissing Skye's head lovingly, then walked towards the incubator. The man gently pressed the palm of his hand agaisnt the glass container, and smiled softly at the sight of the egg that contained his child.

"You're the future, kid." John whispered, allowing a small tear to fall from his eye.

-

Two years later

John was asleep in his bedroom, which once belonged to Bella. A very large, spacious room in the underground base of Perseverance. He layed on a king sized bed with Ren, Shira, Mia and Skye cuddled into him in various positions. But there was a small crib next to their bed, which was missing a baby.