Chapter 4

Ashley woke up after being hit in the head with something. She opened her eyes and groaned. Her hand went to the back of her head and she rubbed the now sore spot. 

"Ow, Mom. Why'd you do that?" Her voice cracked and she yawned. This caused Sapphire, who had fallen asleep as well to wake up. The blinds were now closed but moon light found it's way through some of the cracks. "Have I told you how much I hate this house?" Ashley looked at her mom who had the mom look on her face but after her daughters last comment she signed and looked down at the ground while rubbing the back of her neck. 

"I...would like to go back to our old house too, but we can't" 

"Yeah, someone burnt the kitchen down while cooking" Ashley turned to glare at Sapphire who gave her a sad smile. 

"Hey, what's done is done and it was an accident, I'm just grateful that the two of you made it out alive and without a scratch on ya,   and hey, maybe this can be a fresh start. For all of us. Luckily we had insurance and got a small reimbursement so we can make repairs and upgrades to this place, plus, we were able to save some of our furniture, it may smell like smoke but it'll do for now" 

"I can't believe you used to live here" Ashley responded looking around with a scowl on her face. 

Tracy laughed. "You know, the two of you used to love playing here when you were children" 

Sapphire smiled. "Yeah, I kind of remember that,  Ashley me and Scarlet, used to play outside all day with that old dog that grandma and grandpa used to have. I think his name was Bobo-"

"Bebe" Tracy whispered as she felt her eyes water at the thought of her late family dog. She remembered when her and her twin sister got Bebe for their 16th birthday, he was just a puppy back then and they were so happy. What she wouldn't give to go back for just a day. 

Ashley noticed her mom getting upset so she decided to shift the subject. "When will construction begin. 

"Well, next Monday Steve from the hardware store is going to come over and assess the place and tell us what needs to be done. In the meantime the two of you can come home straight after school to throw away your grandmothers junk" 

"ugh. Mom -" 

"Don't Mom me. This isn't even punishment from the two of you skipping school today, don't think I didn't get a call from the principal.  You both are grounded for a week and while you're here you might as well help out, I need all the help I can get" 

"We don't mind helping aunt Tracy" Sapphire stood and gave her aunt a hug. "Were happy to help" 

Tracy kissed Sapphire's forehead and gave her a hug back. 

"No we are not. Stop saying shit like that" Ashley pointed at Sapphire. She dodged a pillow that came flying at her head, it landed on the floor and dust rose from it. She glared at her mom. "Mother, do that again I dare you" She teased. 

Sapphire giggled. 

"Stop with the language you naughty child, you're going to scare my baby" Tracy hugged Sapphire. 

"You baby her way too much. That's why she's the way she is now" Ashley stood and walked to where her Mom was standing with Sapphire, Tracy pulled her in for a hug as soon as she was within reach. 

"Hate to break it to you darling but you spoil your cousin just as much as I do. What did I do to get blessed with two perfect little angels" 

"Ugh. Mom, stop it" Ashley whined and pulled away. "Feed me before I call child protective services on you" 

"Oh, so you admit that you're still a child even though you're 18 now" Tracy laughed. 

"It depends on the circumstance Mom" 

"No matter how old you get you'll always be my baby. Both of you" 

"Yeah yeah yeah. Food?" 

"There's pizza in the kitchen" 

"Yes! Finally!" 

Sapphire raced towards the kitchen, Ashley was right behind her when she spotted the stairs and remembered what happened earlier, she stopped and turned to look at her mother. 

"Uh, Mom. Can I ask you a question?" 

"Of course darling. You can ask me anything" 

"Have you noticed anything strange about this house?" 

"Strange?" Tracy repeated, she reached forward and ran her fingers through Ashley's hair. "Strange... in what way exactly?" 

"Well, I've noticed some...weird things about the house today. Well, not about the house, well um. Strange things have been happening around the house" 

"Like what?" 

"Today, the front door swung open by it's self. The door is hard to open, well, not hard but you have to use some muscle, and it always creeks when it opens from rust. Today it just flew open like someone had used the Chuck Norris kick on it. And the lights were turning on and off by them selves. I mean, now that I say it out loud, it sounds a bit ridiculous - but-" 

"Hey, it's not ridiculous at all. I can't say I experienced any of that stuff, but I remember when I was younger and first moved  in here, My Mom inherited this house from her Mom. My sister, Sapphire's Mom would get creeped out by loose floor boards making sounds, windows being opened at night when she thought she shut them, Shadows on the wall that moved with the wind-" 

"Mom, if you're trying to make me feel better you're not doing a good job" 

"Sorry. I'm just about done. All of those things comes with old homes. Eventually she got over them and ended up loving this house. She cried her eyes out when we had to leave for college, and one day, you will too, and you'll bring your kids here, they'll be freaked out but then they'll love it and the cycle continues. " 

"Whatever" Ashley rolled her eyes and laughed. She hated to admit it, but in some sick and twisted way, she did feel a bit better. 

"Look, I promise you'll be fine, but if you experience anything else let me know" 

"Okay" 

"I'm serious" 

"Me too" 

"Oh, and my Mom told me this so I'm going to tell you. Stay out of the basement" 

"Why?" 

"I don't know. It's dangerous or something. Probably more trashy than the rest of the home, but don't go down there until I have people go and make sure it's safe okay?" 

"Fine by me" 

"And, don't let Sapphire go down there either"