Chapter 9

Sapphire stood up and rubbed the tears away from her eyes. She slowly approached her bed before looking around the empty room. When she spotted nothing, she sat down. She looked at the box, it was wooden, old and covered in dust. 

She wondered why it was here, and why did it land on her bed. Why not Ashley or her aunt Tracy. She reached out to touch the box and laughed when she saw how bad her hand was shaking. She took a deep breath, counted to three before opening up the wooden top. 

What she found was not what she expected. The items inside did not appear old. In fact they looked new, clean and shiny. She took the items out one by one. 

On top sat a heart shaped locket. Sapphire wasted no time opening it. "Oh my God" Sapphire whispered. In side was a picture of her mom, her dad and her sister, all of which had passed away and gone now. She wondered when the three of them had taken this picture and why wasn't she included as the picture looked like it was taken not to long before the tragic accident. 

She was confused and hurt by what this discovery but at the same time, she was happy to have this gift. She placed it around her neck. 

In the box next was a book. She picked it up. It was a plain black book, no words were on the outside. She flipped through the book but no words could be seen. There was two blank pages and one with words on it, words Sapphire could not understand, the letters kept moving around.  

The next item inside  the box was a note written in red ink. 

Sapphire readjusted her glasses as she read. 

'Sapphire, it's your turn now. You have three wishes. The first one is what ever your heart desires. Your second one will be an attempt to undo the first. The last is pre-written and will reveal itself when the time is right'

Sapphire flipped the page over, that's all that was written. Was this some kind of joke. She knew some paranormal stuff was going on here, but she didn't want to be tricked or trapped. 

Her door opened and she tried to hid the stuff behind her back. 

"What is that?" Ashley questioned as she walked into the room. 

"Nothing" Ashley showed her cousin the book. "Just a small book that's all" 

"Oh...Okay" Ashley looked around the room. "Are you ready, we are going to leave now, we can come back tomorrow during the day and get more stuff" 

"Are you sure we need to leave?" Sapphire looked down at her lap and played with her fingers. She felt the bed dip beside her. 

"Yeah. Why do you want to stay so bad?" 

"I don't know" She whispered. She glanced at her cousin momentarily before looking away again. "This used to be my Mom's room when she was a kid. This house, as shitty as it is, feels like home. I know there's something weird going on but... I'm kind of okay with it" 

Ashley sighed. "Did you pack your things?" Sapphire shook her head causing Ashley to get up and go around the room as she packed for her. "I know you miss your Mom, but there has got to be a better way to cope than staying in a haunted house"