vi. lights out

―

It was nearing eight o'clock in the evening, when Marty was speed walking down the streets of New York, quickly entering her favourite old, quaint bookshops: Crosby's.

Checking her watch, she looked around, seeing someone she didn't recognise standing behind the counter, "Um, are you still open."

The man nodded with a small smile, "Ten more minutes."

Marty grinned, "Brilliant."

"You looking for anything in particular?" The dark-haired man asked with a friendly smile.

"Uh, well, I'm looking for a new crime book." Marty told him.

"Does the date of publishing matter?" The stranger wondered, walking to lead her further down the small bookstore.

Marty shook her head, following him, "No, I really don't mind about that."

The man smiled triumphantly, taking a book off of the shelf and holding it out to the redhead, "Indemnity Only, by Sarah Paretsky."

Marty gently took the book out of the gentleman's hand, flushing red when their hands grazed each other, "You really think I'd like this?"

The man smiled, putting his hands in his pocket as he leaned against a bookshelf, "Well, are you a fan of the perspective of crime coming from a strong, independent, female private eye?"

"Absolutely." Marty nodded.

"Then there you go." The man grinned.

Marty eyed how he was leant against the bookshelf, "Don't let Mr. Crosby catch you leaning against the bookshelves like that," She warned him with a small smile, as they made their way to the cash register, "The last time he saw someone do that, he yelled at the poor teen until his face went red."

The man studied her as he rung up her book, "That must make you Marty."

The woman cocked her head to the side, "Excuse me?"

"My uncle speaks very fondly of you," He said, "His most loyal customer."

Marty nodded in understanding, handing him the money for the book, "And that must make you Scott."

"Yeah, I just started working here," Scott grinned, holding his hand out towards her, "It's nice to finally meet you."

"And you." Marty nodded, shaking his hand over the counter, when the lights went out, making them both look up.

"Oh, crap." Scott muttered, going over to the shop door.

"Do you think it's just a small power cut?" Marty asked him.