xix. secure

―

Marty threw her legs over Joey's, as the gang were sat in the living room of Rachel and Monica's apartment. Marty was throwing popcorn at Joey's mouth, which he caught unsuccessfully - much to Monica's dismay - when Chandler swung the front door open and entered the apartment, approaching the group with a frown.

"Okay, what is it about me?" He asked, "Do I not look fun enough? Is there something... repellent about me?

Ross raised an eyebrow, "So, how was the party?"

"Well it couldn't have been worse," The man sighed, "A woman literally passed through me. Okay, so what is it, am I hideously unattractive?"

"Well, you could use a haircut." Marty shrugged, ducking into Joey's chest when Chandler sent her a glare.

Phoebe shook her head, gaining Chandler's attention, "No, you are not, you are very attractive. You know what, I go through the exact same thing. Every time I put on a little weight, I start questioning everything."

"Woah, woah," Chandler's eyebrows shot up, "I've put on a little weight?" He directed his question at the whole gang.

The friends all stared at each other, before shrugging and muttering nonsense, Joey and Ross retreating to the kitchen and Marty shoving a handful of popcorn in her mouth as she moved to sit next to Rachel on the couch.

"No, not 'weight'," Phoebe chuckled uneasily, trying to diffuse the tension, "Y'know, more like insulation."

Monica shot up off the couch, "Chandler, I'm unemployed and in dire need of a project. Ya wanna work out? I can remake you."

"Oh, you know, I would, but that might get in the way of my lying around time." Chandler shrugged.

"Please." Monica begged.

"Come on."

"Let her."

"Yeah."

"Alright, okay, alright," Chandler nodded with a sigh, "But if we put on spandex and my boobs are bigger than yours, I'm goin' home."

"Your boobs are fine," Phoebe told him as she stood up, "Look, I never should have said anything. Come here. Come here," She held her arms out and Chandler accepted her embrace with a smile. Until he realised that the blonde was holding her hands apart behind his back, "Oh, can't make.... hands... meet...."

Marty was sat with Chandler and Joey on the couch in Central Perk, the redhead grinning at Rachel as she was given her hot chocolate.