chapter 4

Hayley's pov

Hayley sat at her desk quietly, biting the corner of her lip while she filled out paperwork. New patients meant a shit ton of work for her. Her phone started ringing, causing her to look up from the paper she was working on. She squinted, relieved to have something else to do. Picking up the phone, she opened it and held it to her ear. "Hello?"

There was no reply, so she assumed it must be Gerard. A small smile formed on her face, she quickly began talking so he wouldn't hang up. "Gerard? Is that you...? One tap "no", two taps "yes".

Gerard's POV

Gerard slowly brought his hand up, tapping twice on the phone. He found this whole thing quite ridiculous and almost sighed. Almost. But he managed to bite his tongue just in time. Putting his hand back down, he leaned back and bit his lip, exasperated.

Hayley's POV

Hayley grinned, nodding and quickly beginning to talk so he wouldn't hang up. "Alright, we should do sessions..maybe..twice a week? Don't you roll your eyes at me either. You need to talk to someone."

Gerard's POV

Gerard stopped, mid eye roll. He tugged his eyebrows together and bit his lip. How'd she know he was rolling his eyes? Gerard scrunched up his nose and sunk down in his seat, nodding.

Hayleys POV

"Good. Meet me tomorrow..in the park. Ten am, sharp. You better show up." Hayley hung up and set her phone down, quite pleased with herself. She knew that this would be hard but had confidence that in just a few weeks, she could have Gerard talking.

~Next Day, around 9:30 am~

Gerard made his way into the park, annoyed and tired. Moms of the kids who were playing there took one look at him and pulled their children closer to their sides. Gerard rolled his eyes and sat down at a nearby picnic table, he didn't wanna be here but something about Hayley made him get up this morning, shake off his exhaustion and walk the four blocks it took just to get to the entrance of the park. Keeping his eyes on the ground, Gerard plugged his ears and pulled his knees to his chest. Rocking back and forth slowly. The kids here made him think of Bandit. And Bandit made him think of Lynz...STOP. He couldn't think of them, he wouldn't. Not now, not in front of these families. He didn't want to scare the kids by having a break down. He'd never have a child, never. He might remarry someday, but it was highly unlikely.

Gerard snorted and glanced up, a little boy had dropped his ball and it rolled towards Gerard's feet. Taking a deep breath, Gerard picked up the ball and held it out to the small child. And that's when the yelling started. The child's mother, who assumed Gerard was trying to lure her son away, rushed over and started yelling at him. She yanked the ball from Gerard's hands and turned her back on him, pulling her son along with her. Gerard shook his head and frowned, more annoyed than hurt by the awful profanities the mother had screamed at him. Bitch.