Chapter 8

My journey up the long, spiral staircase was nerve-wracking to say the least. The higher we climbed, the more my anxiety bubbled through me.

I'd done plenty of interviews in the past -- this was just one of many. So why was I so worried?

In a hail mary attempt of suppressing my nerves, I decided to break the silence.

"So...Della..."

"Yes?" She encouraged.

I searched my head desperately for something to say when it suddenly occured to me,

"If there are business partners visiting today, an I perhaps interrupting something important? I appreciate Mr. Bell making room for me despite the timing but..."

At my words, Della's previously kind expression took on a hard exterior, catching me off guard.

"Actually, it was a surprise to staff as well that you were scheduled today. To be frank, Mr. Bell personally requested you despite my own protestations. It was a difficult situation to accommodate."

Personally requested?

"I-I'm so sorry to here that." I stuttered in shock,

"B-but by situation did you mean my intervie-"

"We're here." Della interrupted curtly.

At some point, the warmth had returned to her face and a smile, almost maternal looking, curved her pink lips.

I looked over my shoulder and realized nervously that we'd stopped in front of a larger than average door -- a dark, intimate mahogany with a luxurious gold plaque marked "The office of Dimitri Bell".

Still reeling from the secretary's words, I was further caught off guard when Della knocked harshly on the door and called, "Mr. Bell, she's arrived!"

"Let her in." A  velvety, though muffled, voice replied.

Della smiled a final time, her cold eyes revealing the bitter truth of her feelings towards me.

I said a quick prayer to myself before bravely reaching for the door.

Don't forget, bitch..we need this money. If not me, then who?

With a quick swing of the door, I stepped into the room and assumed my braver, sexier, S-tier secretary alter ego. But, almost immediately, the intoxicating rose scent from earlier hit me like a brick wall, nearly knocking me back with its potency. 

Damn, this guy must love roses, huh?

After taking a few more quick breaths to collect myself, I sauntered confidently towards the interviewer. While approaching, I pursed my lips and added a hand to my hip for greater persuasive effect (Reese and Fatima had disapproved but it felt right).

The so-called Dimitri Bell sat comfortably facing his computer. From behind, I noted that his messy black hair and shockingly athletic build was the silouhette of someone far younger than I'd expected. It seems I'd wrongly assumed the owner of such an estate would be in at least his fifties.

Perhaps my quip about the mafia had been spot on after all...

At the growing click of my heels, I watched as the mysterious patron began to turn from his computer.

"Mr. Bell? It's so nice to finally-"

"Lily...a pleasure! Or should I say Ava? I suppose I also gave a fake name so I can't feel too mislead..."

My voice caught in my throat as all the blood and confidence drained from my body.

"Sweetheart, you've no idea how delighted I am for this interview..." The familiar voice taunted, suddenly closer to me.