Chapter 5

"So...Are you gonna' tell me what's going on or what?"  Fatima accused, leaning fowards on her elbows.

I sipped distractedly on my orange juice before shrugging,

"Look, I don't know..."

"Because, sweetheart, sure that guy was hot and all but Kai saw everything last night. When I walked out of the bathroom they were seconds away from a brawl!"

I raised my eyebrows in surprise as she continued.

"It got crazy so fast! Tristan and I could barely pull Kai away, the bouncers had to come break it up. Anyone would've thought you'd come between brothers..."

Looking down at my drink, I noticed little bubbles begin to spin in a funnel as I swirled my straw distractedly.

I paused for a moment before replying matter-of-factly,

"I don't see how I could've gotten between anything when Kai never wanted me to begin with. He had no reason to feel threatened or overprotective. I'm sure he just drank too much."

I avoided Fatima's judgemental eyes as I continued to stare into the depths of my drink. When it all began to be too much I finally grabbed the glass and took a long swig.

As I brought my gaze back to Fatima's, she clicked her tongue at me before shaking her head disappointedly.

"Can we please change the subject?" I grimaced.

"Ladies?" Our waitress interjected suddenly, appearing at the table with a delicious round of mimosas.

"Don't mind if I do!" I laughed, throwing back a glass.

"Well, if we must change the subject..."

Fatima gave me a pointed look before a genuine smile suddenly lit up her face.

"I don't know if you're still looking for a job but an amazing offer came in the mail today..."

I raised an eyebrow at the new dark glimmer in her brown eyes,

"Tell me more..."

"Well--"

I watched as she reached into her jacket to pull out a crumbled piece of paper.

"I found this stuffed in the mailbox. Apparently some uppity socialite is searching for an assistant and is willing to pay an arm and a leg. The hours seem extremely flexible sooo there shouldn't be any conflict with school..."

I leaned forward to peer at the flyer as she smoothed it with her palms.

"And look here - 'seeking to hire as soon as possible'. Ava that means we need to apply ASAP."

As I finally took the flyer from her outstretched hands, I slowly skimmed the proposition.

Surprisingly, she was right. The opening emphasized work that was high-paying as well as manageable for students.

For the past year or so, I'd been enrolled in an intensive EMT program with my local university. I was hoping a certification would earn me enough money to begin saving for medical school, but it was hardly enough.